True Sine Wave Inverters

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
basic Q for the community. what cots inverter brand makes the best true sine wave and best efficiency inverters? i need a good inverter that is rated 200watt continuous, but true sine 60Hz is a must for electronics, and efficiency has to be good so that i can use more of my batt energy, etc. any suggestions on brands to look at?

forgot to mention, pricing is a metric, i would like to stay under $300.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
... but true sine 60Hz is a must for electronics...
How do you know that? Everything I've ver tried works fine on my "modified" sine inverter, which is just a square wave plus a brief stop at zero volts at each zero crossing.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
How do you know that? Everything I've ver tried works fine on my "modified" sine inverter, which is just a square wave plus a brief stop at zero volts at each zero crossing.
in IC world (most electronics) MSW is a typical issue for clocks. not all electronics that have clocks are built the way we would expect them to be built, etc. many more issues for MSW. i would rather just choose a TSW and be done with it, but a TSW that has low harmonics, a nice clean output, etc.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
have you seen the harmonics on scope?tech guy did say some models are not FCC approved due to the noise the emit.and to be fair, they are rather inexpensive vs some other that i see for almost 10x the cost. i suspect PST-600 will be fine for my use, but i am curious, etc.

after chatting with their tech guy, it would be the PST-600, but i need to mod it, parallel a ssr to the power switch as the remote feature is wonky, uses a momentary +V switch to toggle on/off. i'd probably just remove the switch and put there a small connector instead.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I have not scoped the outputs of mine (1500W model), but have run kitchen appliances, window AC, and TV, along with DSL modem and laptop on it. I know the old Sony TV didn't like running on cheap squarewave inverter I used in the car.

DC_Kid

Joined Feb 25, 2008
from u tube the Sunpower TSW's had some horrible harmonics. not all TSW's have bad harmonics, i just havent seen Samlex scope pics yet. i asked Samlex to send me something, i didnt get anything ;)