Troubleshooting an old color organ circuit

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
You could swap two bulbs on your board.
Thanks, I was able to figure out that these are 6v .15a bulbs and have found some screw base replacements to upgrade this board. I am going to go through all the bulbs, replace and reflow the solder. be back soon with an update.

chuco61

Joined Jan 21, 2015
It looks like it was wave-soldered, so probably not a kit. They might have sourced old components on the surplus market to cut costs, or used stuff that was already in inventory, if this was made by a big car audio brand.
If you can find old JC Whitney catalogs online (or the swap meet, if those ever happen again), they could have sold something like this.
I would trace the schematic, and pull some of the transistors to test them in a $20 Aliexpress component tester, which should give some clues as to what they are. Once you have a schematic, we can suggest more stuff to check.
Wasnt aware of wave soldering, I'll look into it. I do have catalogs of JC Whitney with these listed for sale as "Psycheledic Lights." I am doing research into these for a workshop I'm holding this summer.