Forum Suggestion Trouble editing on iPhone

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm not sure this has anything to do with the forum software or whether the problem is with iOS. It's probably the latter but I'd be curious to hear if other folks can reproduce it.

Here's the problem: Sometimes I'll reply to a long forum post. It needs to be unusually long for the problem to be noticed, at least a few paragraphs worth of text, 20 lines or more I'd guess. To focus on just a few lines of that long post, I'll select and delete the rest of the quoted material in my reply. Once I've done that, I can no longer see the cursor and the area where I'm entering text. I can swipe and drag and maybe get a peak at it but cannot stop on it so that I can see as I type.

I've developed tricks to get around this. For instance I think posting the truncated quote and then re-editing the post allows the screen to behave normally. But it's annoying to say the least.

I'll file a bug report with Apple if we can determine that it's really an iOS problem.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Here's a long post test that you can try on YOUR phone.

1. Hit the Reply button.
2. Select all the quoted text except line 4 below.
3. Delete
4. Can you now easily continue editing?
5. Add your comments in your reply​

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Fusce ultrices blandit commodo. Suspendisse lorem turpis, mattis eu molestie non, pharetra ac elit. Nunc libero urna, facilisis et blandit vel, fermentum sit amet tellus. Nunc ultricies lectus non eros condimentum tempus.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014

1. Hit the Reply button.
3. Delete
n,​
I'm getting a similar behavior on an iPhone 6, recently updated to most current iOS.

What an interesting and annoying phenomenon.

I can't see the quoted text that remains. If I try to scroll up there the screen jitters and shakes like it's having a seizure and then snaps back into a position that hides the quoted text.

I can see all the new stuff I'm typing below it just fine, just not the quoted text above.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm getting a similar behavior on an iPhone 6, recently updated to most current iOS.

What an interesting and annoying phenomenon.

I can't see the quoted text that remains. If I try to scroll up there the screen jitters and shakes like it's having a seizure and then snaps back into a position that hides the quoted text.

I can see all the new stuff I'm typing below it just fine, just not the quoted text above.
That’s a little different than what I see. I can’t see what I’m typing. Did you edit the quoted text as I described?

But anyway, there’s a problem. It’s probably iOS related or more members would have chimed in.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
That’s a little different than what I see. I can’t see what I’m typing. Did you edit the quoted text as I described?

But anyway, there’s a problem. It’s probably iOS related or more members would have chimed in.
Sort of - my iPhone is a pain in general when it comes to selecting text (I never should've left Android, but l have hearing aids and the iPhone native hearing aid connectivity was too good to not try.)

I deleted the big block in smaller, more manageable chunks, cause l couldn't get the whole thing selected at once if my life depended on it! That may have caused a slight change in behavior, although l saw the twitchy thing happen almost immediately - after just one or two mini deletions it caught my eye.

Another possible factor is that l normally use the orange interface, but l had gone back to blue temporarily before replying to your thread. Not sure if they behave differently on this issue.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014

1. Hit the Reply button.
3. Delete
5. Add your comments in your reply​
WOW!!!

Just tried it on the orange interface and it's INSANE! I couldn't get anywhere near the reply I was working on after deleting a big chunk. I couldn't even post it for future editing. The only way I got to this point was by refreshing the page after deleting. That failed the first time (my deletions were canceled by the page refresh,) so I had to delete it all again, but the second time reloading the page after deleting stuff worked, and now I'm able to type just fine (after refreshing the page twice, that is.)

This is bizarre!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I don't have a phone. I am using an old iPhone salvaged from ewaste bin.

Using orange theme. I cannot see the whole text. I don't know how to scroll through the text in the reply box.
This is a very old iPhone and OS.