Treadmill motor speed control

advarp

Joined Jan 12, 2018
Would this one do For 240vac and 160v motor? I too have a treadmill with a blown board :) A lot cheaper and current 10A max 10A?

MOD NOTE: Split from another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Those have nothing in the way of features, just plain PWM, depends what you are using it for.
10A is the continuous current with peak at 20A.
Max.

advarp

Joined Jan 12, 2018
Thanks for replying!

Well, all I want is to control the motor speed instead of using the control board ($$ and cannot find it anyway, Cardiotech x9) . For the incline I will use a center off switch so that is not a problem. I will take photos of the motor but it is a 160VDC and power in AU is 240VAC.

I was going to get the parts for the SCR idea but after reading this thread and others I changed my mind. The motor will need to keep its RPM under load, ie running on the belt, I assume this circuit is not that smart?

There is a speed sensor there but it's getting complicated and expensive for something more complex? And really I do not have extensive skills in building, just basic soldering, measuring, fitting and tinkering... another treadmill would cost me $130-$150 so you see the point - not worth spending too much..(altho' that next might blow as well :))

[BTW on the control board I can see where there was a short (switched it on in wet weather, maybe this shorted the PCB tracks and blew the TOP245YN in the area), I have ordered the part but I am not sure it is the only one that blew, so I am trying to get a simple solution to control motor speed so i can use it, no real use for all the info on the board in fact.] Will put up some photos soon.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I misunderstood, I thought you just wanted a motor controller for non TM use.
For T.M. use you definately need some kind of inteligence for the control, naturally they have fairly tight rpm control.
In many cases the speed sensor is fed back to the consol, not the driver board, so the console corrects the rpm and displays it.
A photo would help as the board my be repairable.
Max.

The motor will need to keep its RPM under load, ie running on the belt, I assume this circuit is not that smart?
Well, the high end controllers certainly have some sort of smartness. For example, I ended up building my own motor controller using a software PI controller and a hall effect sensor for feedback. It's not as easy as it seems from the first insight.

advarp

Joined Jan 12, 2018
upload_2018-12-18_8-1-11.jpeg

upload_2018-12-18_8-1-24.jpeg

upload_2018-12-18_8-2-7.jpeg

upload_2018-12-18_8-1-50.jpeg

Damn shocking PCB photo, need to take another...

EDIT: I found this link on EBay, Endex DCMD57 looks exactly like mine, only $AUD270 PLUS postage... lol...

I might wait for that part to come (what does it do, anyway?), fit it, it is blows again, scrap the treadmill...

Last edited:

advarp

Joined Jan 12, 2018
Yes, they sent it today so next year this time I will have it in AU :) I'd be interested to see a schematic of how this whole thing works... there seems to be AC everywhere, rectified in several places (what the...)...

So no hope of a reasonably priced off the shelf, potentiometer-driven self regulating speed controller for this motor (i.e. depending on the current drawn - according to the load or using a magnetic sensor )? Bah...

advarp

Joined Jan 12, 2018
Wow I really have no clue myself, had no time to play with Arduinos - hopefully when i retire...In the meantime I wait for the $AUD3 part, but will only see it in Feb probably. And also probably i will fit it, turn on, BAM, and then take it to trash...

By the way in this state it blows its 8A fuse and/or trips the breaker. Does that sound like that AC / DC convertor begin fried? Would it not rather 'not work'' i.e. have an open circuit, than continue to short it somewhere? Hm, well either way not much i can do about it. I live on acreage so i can jog around, wanted this just for rainy days etc. Bah.

Haterz

Joined Jun 21, 2020
Would this one do For 240vac and 160v motor? I too have a treadmill with a blown board :) A lot cheaper and current 10A max 10A?

MOD NOTE: Split from another thread.
Hi sir good day im new here,,sir i have a problem related this i cant find with the is the best pwm diy circuit to control treadmill motor