Treadmill motor controller MC1650LS-2W, need input (no pun...)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jsmith24, Jan 13, 2018 at 2:22 PM.

1. jsmith24

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Hi all!

I recently inherited some parts from a treadmill to start a project. I have the motor, a 130VDC unit, and a controller board labeled ICON MC1650LS-2W. I have figured out all the connections for the motor, power input, et cetera, but I am stumped on the input header. I know that Header 4 (HD4) is where the input from the treadmill's control panel plugged in, but it's different from all the ones I can find online. The other controller boards from the same company have either three pins (for a potentiometer) or have eight pins for an incoming PWM signal.

I will also attach a photo of the cable that connects to it.

I do NOT have the upper control panel, so I can't use that for any diagnostics.

If anyone can help with what input I need here, and which pins connect to what, I would greatly appreciate it. Photos attached.

Thanks!
    Jack

IMG_20180113_121237744 Small.jpg IMG_20180113_121709320 small.jpg Wire-harness-Console-166502-6084396.jpg

2. jsmith24

Jul 10, 2013
    I would also like to say that yes, I have Googled for hours to try to find schematics or pinouts, but mostly what I find are the other boards, or links to where I can buy what I already have!

Jack

3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Can you tell what the IC's U1, U2, U7 are?, they appear to be opto's.
    Max.

4. jsmith24

Jul 10, 2013
    Good eye - they are L1636 817A W, which comes back as an 817A Optocoupler. Now, I'll admit ignorance as to what they are, but you seem to be onto something. Thoughts?

5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    For opto's the input is going to be a digital signal of some kind, not a simple 10k pot.
    I would do a little reverse engineering and trace where the 4 pins of the HD4 go to, opto, gnd, +ve etc, based on this you could experiment with a 555 based PWM input to one leading to opto pins.
    Max.

6. jsmith24

Jul 10, 2013
    Thanks, I can do that. I may have to come back, though, for guidance once I figure out where they go!

Thanks, MaxHeadRoom

7. jsmith24

Jul 10, 2013
    Hi Max,

Thanks for the guidance. I used my meter to run down traces, and here's what I found:

1 - ground

2 - when connected to ground, I got a momentary beep from the meter that would go away until the charge dissipated, then it would give another small beep, very momentarily.

3, 4 - connected to the optocouplers as indicated in the attached image.

The blue question mark indicates that I was not able to find ANY continuity between that pin and anything else on the board, at least, not as far as I could tell.

Any further guidance you can give would be very much appreciated. Again.

Jack

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Can you see if 2 connects to any point that may be the low V+DC? 12vdc etc?
    Max.

9. jsmith24

Jul 10, 2013
    Well, I probed every single point that I could see, and pin 2 of HD4 only shows continuity with ground, and even then it's a momentary beep. It seems like there must be a capacitance there - though I was unable to directly locate any capacitor that showed continuity with it.

:(

10. jsmith24

Jul 10, 2013
    Update: I have been comparing my board with thenMC2100, and I see a lot of similarities. I believe pin 2 is the V+ supplied to the pwm unit. Now I have decided to build a pwm module for it.

The problem is that I now live in a town with no real suppliers, and most of my own collection is buried in a storage unit somewhere. Anyone know of a kit available?

11. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013