Treadmill Fuse blown

andymannoh

Joined Feb 4, 2017
Hey guys , looking for a little help here. I have a treadmill (Freespirit) that is blowing the fuse on the board. 15 amp 250 volt. I found a fuse at an appliance repair place and replaced the fuse. My wife uses it. When it blew the first time, she was running for about 20 minutes. after I replaced the fuse, she ran on it a couple of days ( 30 minutes each) the next day she ran 20 minutes again and it blew the fuse again. The fuse itself was 10 bucks. the motor seems to run ok when I replace the fuse. I'm not sure exactly where to go with this. Any Ideas on what I can test to narrow down the problem?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Hey guys , looking for a little help here. I have a treadmill (Freespirit) that is blowing the fuse on the board. 15 amp 250 volt. I found a fuse at an appliance repair place and replaced the fuse. My wife uses it. When it blew the first time, she was running for about 20 minutes. after I replaced the fuse, she ran on it a couple of days ( 30 minutes each) the next day she ran 20 minutes again and it blew the fuse again. The fuse itself was 10 bucks. the motor seems to run ok when I replace the fuse. I'm not sure exactly where to go with this. Any Ideas on what I can test to narrow down the problem?

Thanks in advance

Andrew
It sounds like everything works, it is just getting some major current draw and popping. Excess Current draw can be from friction.

Pull out the owner's manual (or find it online). Check if it is due for s lubrication. There are YouTube videos how to do this. Usually after 300 to 600 miles it starts to get sticky. Also, be sure to use the silicone oil sold / recommended by the manufacturer. Too thin and it runs all over. To thick and you get poor lube. Not the right chemistry - you can swell the plastic/rubber and you have a mess.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You could run the motor unloaded for a spell, remove the belt and run for a number of hrs and check the motor temperature.
Max.

andymannoh

Joined Feb 4, 2017
Thanks guys, I was thinking the lubrication/friction thing also and have recently added the manufacturers recommended lube to the underside of the belt. The track does get warm as my wife mentioned (that's why I added lube) so I am thinking it is related to that. Before I lubed it, It had been a while since I had done it. I'll have a closer look to the inside of the belt.

Agreed, I need a new fuse supplier! But when you are in a pinch and your wife just started her exercise plan again...

As the motor heats up will it draw more amperage? My understanding is that more amps the motor draws = more heat created by the motor.

Thanks for the replies guys.