Treadmill blowing 13 Amp fuse in plug

Pantlessnoodle

Joined Sep 13, 2020
Hi guys,

I am trying to narrow down a problem with my Proform 530 zlt treadmill. The device powers on with no issues, all the electronics work as intended with the exception of the motor. As soon as the start button is pressed the motor does try to fire up then the fuse blows.

I have tried a few things such as:

Remove power to the motor and test if it still trips: It does not trip and the timer on treadmill begins.
Plug a lamp in to the power where the motor connects. Power does not trip and the lamp is illuminated.
I have tested the belt resistance and it seems ok.
I have used a battery to power the motor and it turns the belt.
I have opened up the motor to see if the armature or brushes are worn and as far as i can tell all seems good.
I have checked the board and see no discoloration or swollen capacitors all looks good.

So im a little confused, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you| :)

Pantlessnoodle

Joined Sep 13, 2020
Ok does it run with the motor powered , but no load , remove drive belt or gearing.?
Hi Dave, thanks for the reply! Removed the drive belt so it was just motor on its own and it still blows the fuse. It may be the motor im beginning to believe as i have powered a lamp from the terminals for the motor. The lamp lit up with no issues.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When you power up with the lamp does it illuminate slowly or show full brilliance right away?
If the latter, it could be the Mosfet shorted.
Test the motor on a automotive 12vdc battery.
Max.

Pantlessnoodle

Joined Sep 13, 2020
Hey Max thanks for replying appreciate it, the only bulbs I had at the time was those energy saving ones. Because of that it did take a few seconds to brighten and it did flicker but the bulb was dodgy so I'll get a normal bulb today and retest. I tested the motor on a power drill battery 18volt it's all I had. It seems to have a spark from the motor when the machine tries to start it. Also there is a spark with the battery attached too.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The lamp should be a 120v filament version.
Car head light only 12v.!!
Turn the motor by hand to determine if just brush noise, if possible.
Max.

Pantlessnoodle

Joined Sep 13, 2020
The lamp should be a 120v filament version.
Car head light only 12v.!!
Turn the motor by hand to determine if just brush noise, if possible.
Max.
The motor scraping sounds like a bearing but not 100%. I have a new motor on the way out to me which I ordered last week. It should be here next week so that will determine what's what. It's odd everything else seems to work. The actuator and all the other electronics just seems the motor won't start

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The normal action is for the motor to slowly accelerate, you cannot have the belt take off to what ever the speed is set to, if this is not working due to say a shorted Mosfet, it will apply full power to the motor immediately and blow the fuse.
I assume the motor spun freely?
A filament lamp should show a gradual increase in brilliance as the ramp start builds up.
Are you sure it is not a brush rubbing sound? you would have to lift the brushes to prove that.
What is the part number on the motor board.?
Max.

Pantlessnoodle

Joined Sep 13, 2020
The normal action is for the motor to slowly accelerate, you cannot have the belt take off to what ever the speed is set to, if this is not working due to say a shorted Mosfet, it will apply full power to the motor immediately and blow the fuse.
I assume the motor spun freely?
A filament lamp should show a gradual increase in brilliance as the ramp start builds up.
Are you sure it is not a brush rubbing sound? you would have to lift the brushes to prove that.
What is the part number on the motor board.?
Max.
So removed the brushes, scraping sound seems to have gone.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If it runs OK on a car battery it is most likely OK.
Did you try the 120v filament lamp test, although these are becoming rare in some parts due to phasing out in favour of LED.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is a MC100LS version, there were several, you have the one with the off-board L.V. transformer, later models had it on board.
The LED in one corner is a diagnostic LED, when running normally, it should flash continuously very slowly.
Max.