Transistor symbol "non-pointing" and "pointing" end

jlscott

Joined Aug 31, 2011
Re: EBook Vol.III, Semiconductors, Bipolar Junction Transistor, Meter check of a transistor

First paragraph: "On the symbol, the N-type material corresponds to the “non-pointing” end of the base-emitter junction, the base. The P-type emitter corresponds to “pointing” end of the base-emitter junction the emitter."

What is this saying exactly? Is it saying that the the P-type emitter is the pointer and the N-type base is the pointee?

Is this the same thing as saying that the arrow points to the N-type material of the base-emitter junction?

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Yes i would say, effectively, that it points to the n type material. PNP, arrow points in, which points to the n type base. NPN, points outward to the "sides" of the transistor which indicated where the N type.

In fact i would say that it points to the mostly doped n type area

jlscott

Joined Aug 31, 2011
NPN = Not Pointing iN
PNP = Pointing iN Proudly
Thanks for your response. However, I do have the same problem with your mnemonic as with "pointer" (subject) and that which is point at (object).

When first I read "On the symbol, the N-type material corresponds to the “non-pointing” end of the base-emitter junction, the base. The P-type emitter corresponds to “pointing” end of the base-emitter junction the emitter," my interpretation of the meaning was opposite my understanding that the arrow points to N-type material of the emitter-base junction thus avoiding the total insanity of "conventional current."

It wasn't until I was composing my post that I was able to unravel the unusual grammatical structure of this passage with a possible interpretation consistent with my understanding.

However, your mnemonic plus the to-me puzzling ebook passage leads me to believe that there is some other way of looking at this pointing process where there is an actor and that which is acted upon. Could you and/or the others who seem to appreciate the mnemonic, please share this perspective?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I would say it shows the direction of the base current. Not sure however what it means on mosfet transistors.

OK wiki in the mosfet article says the arrow points from P to N.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The arrow points to the negative side, this is how I've always thought of it. If the arrow points to the positive side, then the junction is back biased and will not conduct, or as with a zener diode conduct in a specialized way.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
BJTs can conduct in reverse (called reverse active), and that is controllable, but the gain is usually smaller and the breakdown voltage is often lower.