Transistor Replacement (Mosfet transisitor gone bad in TV)

ViruZHUN

Joined Jan 13, 2019
Hi!

My plasma TV got this component shorted: http://www.datasheetcafe.com/30f131-datasheet-pdf/

This component can't really be found anymore on Digikey (where I buy electronic components). My question is if I can get another mosfet type which will do the job? Or do I need to use exacly the same component?

Can someone help me and explain how I should search/think when looking for alternative components if I can use different ones

Thanks!

ViruZHUN

Joined Jan 13, 2019
1. that's an IGBT not a MOSFET... and who says they are not available any more:

link

they're also all over ebay and even on Amazon.
Okay thanks for correction(I am new to electronics) :) I know they are all over, but it would take months for me to get my hands on the replacement (shipping time), that's why I am wondering if there is an alternative transistor with simular parameters which can be used which is available.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
where are you located? Amazon ships very fast and usually cheaper than Digikey in the US.

the issue is this is probably something designed for a TV power supply or something to that nature and one that is not generally sold to public so DigiKey does not stock. I have many Toshiba chips that are specifically designed for TV's that you wouldn't necessarily use anywhere else... they are rated high voltage and current and usually the gates need the same to operate.

ViruZHUN

Joined Jan 13, 2019
where are you located? Amazon ships very fast and usually cheaper than Digikey in the US.

the issue is this is probably something designed for a TV power supply or something to that nature and one that is not generally sold to public so DigiKey does not stock. I have many Toshiba chips that are specifically designed for TV's that you wouldn't necessarily use anywhere else... they are rated high voltage and current and usually the gates need the same to operate.
I am located in Sweden. Which shop would you recommend for the fastest shipping times?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Checked with Element 14 and RS-online, both suppliers dont carry them.

The transistor has T0263, D2PAK To220 and DIP8 footprints. It was made by Toshiba. So be careful when ordering them.

ViruZHUN

Joined Jan 13, 2019
Checked with Element 14 and RS-online, both suppliers dont carry them.

The transistor has T0263, D2PAK To220 and DIP8 footprints. It was made by Toshiba. So be careful when ordering them.
Thanks for answer!

Is it important that the footprint have to be To220, or is T0263 fine too? (I dont really know what they are but gonna research)

Edit: Ohh its just the packaging, I thought it had something to do with the transistors base. okay NVM

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Get the same footprint you are replacing. The package makes a difference as to how much heat it will dissipate and the cooling it was designed for on your PCB.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Get the same footprint you are replacing. The package makes a difference as to how much heat it will dissipate and the cooling it was designed for on your PCB.
+1
The thickness and spacing of the leads are an issue as well. I beefed up MOSFET in a TV once only to discover the heavier leads would not fit the holes in the PCB. What a pain.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
It's always the transistor, or a diode, or a capacitor... or... or... or... :).

You can easily check the transistor junctions with a MM.

TV circuits with switching/inverter power is challenging to diagnose. Buy a few of them just in case it blows again because something else if bad. You gotta start somewhere.

ViruZHUN

Joined Jan 13, 2019
How do you know if the transistor failed by itself or if there is another problem that caused the transistor to blow?
I am not sure if there is another Issue. The TV I am fixing showed a 8 blink error which meant the SC board. and according to the internet more people had this kind of issue with this TV and were pointing out those transistors to fail. Now there is 6-7 of these transistors on the board in a parallell connection. So when I measured their resistance all were showing 0 resistance, I thought. if its a parallell connection between these transistors, then it means not all are necessarly wrong.

So I tried to disconnect them one by one and measure resistances. I disconnected one, and eeveryonee else showed 0 resistance still but the one i disconnected showed now good results. So continued to disconnect a second one from the board. I was lucky. Even when the second one was disconnected from the board the resistance was 0 on the transistor. However the remaining transistors on the boards now showed good results. And the tramsresistor I just mentioned was the 30f131 even after I disconnected it.

So i suspect, If i change that resistor the TV might work again. I am not sure doe.

There might be another problem which blows that transistor. But I am trusting the 8 blink code by the TV XD

ViruZHUN

Joined Jan 13, 2019
Note I am new to electronics, so don't bother calling me stupid haha. I know I am still that, but I am learning

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
i don't recommend blindly following a scenario that happened to some people. It may be a common issue but so far I hear no evidence there's anything wrong with the IGBT... you really have to apply gate voltage to them to check. The circuity can have high voltage applied so it's not recommended that you poke around while it's powered up. Inverters power supplies are challenging for skilled electronics guys. If you are able to pull the chips out test them out of the circuit - google how to test IGBT with a multimeter.