Transistor Overheating

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The output transistors are getting hot because they are conducting too much current. The trick is to reduce the base bias in order to push the transistors more from class AB to class B amplifier mode. The drawback is that you will experience greater cross-over distortion, the point where one transistor turns off while the other takes over.

You can try reducing the base currents by increasing the values of R12 and R13.

Charlie Magne Aguda Ü

Joined Oct 24, 2017
The output transistors are getting hot because they are conducting too much current. The trick is to reduce the base bias in order to push the transistors more from class AB to class B amplifier mode. The drawback is that you will experience greater cross-over distortion, the point where one transistor turns off while the other takes over.

You can try reducing the base currents by increasing the values of R12 and R13.
Is it still ok if I continue to use it like this? or my transistor would be damaged? Is this normal?

I will try your suggestion.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is it still ok if I continue to use it like this? or my transistor would be damaged? Is this normal?

I will try your suggestion.
No, your transistor will not be damaged if it is given proper heat dissipation, i.e. put a heat sink on it.

Looks like you are already doing a circuit simulation. Use the simulation to determine the current and power dissipated by the transistor.
Play around with the resistor values until you get results that meet your satisfaction.