Transistor advice

ajhoward

Joined Nov 16, 2011
How can I connect a pnp transistor with a switch at its base going to ground, which turns on when the switch is connected to ground which turns off a npn transistor. Then when the switch is open turns off the pnp which turns on the npn.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What are you trying to accomplish, a complimentary output switch of some sort?

What are the voltages and currents to be switched?

ajhoward

Joined Nov 16, 2011
What are you trying to accomplish, a complimentary output switch of some sort?

What are the voltages and currents to be switched?
I am using a reed switch to trigger a monostabe 555 timer, that triggers another astable 555 timer after a set period of time. I need something that when the reed switch open will pull the reset pin of the astable 555 timer to ground to silence the astable timer. I am using a 9V battery for a power source, not sure what the current values are.

Take a look at what I have so far. Disregard the parts list and the back to front led (just threw that in haven't got that far yet), as I chopped and changed a few things, but I am talking about Q1 & Q2. Q5 is meant to power down part of the circuit after a short delay when the reed switch is opened again.

Attachments

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Since you are already using a relay, use a DPDT relay, so when the relay turns off, it holds the reset until the open switch starts the process over again?

ajhoward

Joined Nov 16, 2011
Since you are already using a relay, use a DPDT relay, so when the relay turns off, it holds the reset until the open switch starts the process over again?
I'm not using the relay in the parts list anymore, I ended up getting the solid state relay A210DN to keep the power consumption down. Thank you for your suggestion.