Transistor 5002 equivalent/replacement

Pepi-V

Joined Jan 27, 2021
I am working on a circuit board and there is a transistor that has the following markings on it and I need to find an equivalent or replacement for it and I cannot find anything on the internet. It has the following on it...
62FP

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
Thanks,
Karl

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I am working on a circuit board and there is a transistor that has the following markings on it and I need to find an equivalent or replacement for it and I cannot find anything on the internet. It has the following on it...
62FP

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
Thanks,
Karl
Try looking for 2N5002.
Can you identify the logo? Take a look here.

Pepi-V

Joined Jan 27, 2021
Ok, thanks everyone. I tried looking up the 2N5002 and it looked nothing like it and was $75.00.

I see Mr.Chips shows it being a voltage regulator and Ilooked up the other 2 and see it is a voltage regulator and not a transistor. So I think I will let that one be, since I haven't heard anyone saying that going out at all. I'll just stick with all the transistors.

I apreciatte all the help!!

Thanks,
Karl

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Ok, thanks everyone. I tried looking up the 2N5002 and it looked nothing like it and was $75.00.

I see Mr.Chips shows it being a voltage regulator and Ilooked up the other 2 and see it is a voltage regulator and not a transistor. So I think I will let that one be, since I haven't heard anyone saying that going out at all. I'll just stick with all the transistors.

I apreciatte all the help!!

Thanks,
Karl
It’s definitely the VR. Whether it’s ok or not is a question but yes, they often have self protection mechanisms built in and are fairly robust.

Pepi-V

Joined Jan 27, 2021
Thanks wayneh. I was just trying to replace all the transistors since I have been reading a lot of these have been going bad for different segments of the 7 segment LED. I figured why just replace my 2 when others have had other ones go out. Don't want to have to take it apart again to replace a couple more in the future, just do them all now.

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Thanks wayneh. I was just trying to replace all the transistors since I have been reading a lot of these have been going bad for different segments of the 7 segment LED. I figured why just replace my 2 when others have had other ones go out. Don't want tot have to take it apart again to replace a couple more in the future, just do them all now.
Bad idea. I don’t replace electronic components that ain’t broken.

Pepi-V

Joined Jan 27, 2021
Bad idea. I don’t replace electronic components that ain’t broken.
I just figured I had 2 that were bad and someone else had a different one that was bad, sounded like a common failure for these, based on other people having some go bad also. So I thought I would be proactive and replace them all since they are prone to failure.

I had already removed them by the time I saw your post. Odd thing is I confirmed these were the problem because I jumperes between the C&E pins and the segments worked. When on the circuit board, these 2 transistors showed open. I removed them and now they test good. Could heating them up while desoldering them get them working again?

Thanks,
Karl

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
When on the circuit board, these 2 transistors showed open. I removed them and now they test good. Could heating them up while desoldering them get them working again?
Doubtful, sounds like whatever controls them are not working. Cant really tell from just looking at a picture of a transistor you suspect isn’t working

Pepi-V

Joined Jan 27, 2021
Doubtful, sounds like whatever controls them are not working. Cant really tell from just looking at a picture of a transistor you suspect isn’t working
I thought that would be weird also. When I had the circuit board hooked up, I took a jumper wire between the E & C points and the segment lit up. So when I get the new ones installed, I will try again and see if it is something in the Base side circuitry. I'll report back once I get that done. Parts should be here middle of week.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Instead of replacing the driver transistor, measure the voltages at the base, collector and emitter when it is supposed to be on.

Pepi-V

Joined Jan 27, 2021
Instead of replacing the driver transistor, measure the voltages at the base, collector and emitter when it is supposed to be on.
Ok, I will do that, if it still isn't working and report back.

I was just going off a different thread where people were having the same problems with this particular scoorboard assembly and the transistors are what they were being told to replace and what was fixing them. That is where it was suggested to jump/short C&E and if it works bad transistor. Thinking about it more, that isn't 100% true.

Thanks,
Karl

Pepi-V

Joined Jan 27, 2021
Update... I replaced the transistors, I had already had the old ones out before it was suggested not to, so I went ahead and put the new ones in. Everything is lighting up now, but the 2 that didn't light up before (D & E) now stays on along with F, When D is on, it is always on at about 1/2 power compared to the others. I don't understand the logic of this board that these 7 transistors control the segments for both the scores and the clock. I don't know how it differentiates how to turn which ones off.

It doesn't always seem to be the same ones though. I took pictures of it and one of the other segments was not working and D was bright.

What should be my next steps for trouble shooting? I looked and ohmed out to make sure there is no solder bridging happening.

I did start another thread on this. Air Hockey Scoreboard not working | All About Circuits