Transformer winding help

fluxanode

Joined Mar 23, 2014
I am using a power supply design from TI Webench designer and need help with sourcing the wire. The design is at https://webench.ti.com/power-designer/switching-regulator/customize/28 (you need a login). The design calls for a custom wound transformer. The winding spec is attached. My problem is getting the required wire. The vender I'm talking to says they need more info. To me it is just wire but then magnetics is not my area. Also is there a two strand magnet wire and can someone explain how that works in a transformer?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Making transformers is not exactly a precise enterprise. Once you select a bobbin and core material you have to compute a test design and then measure it. If it works, then great. If not, you go back to the drawing board. You pick the diameter of the magnet wire to get the required number of turns on the bobbin.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
A neat transformer is generally a good transformer. An untidy transformer might not work so well!
I just thought I should mention that a badly wound (scrambled) transformer, if it all fits in the window, will have less self-capacitance than a one neatly wound in layers. That's why they used to wave-wind long wave and medium wave RF coils.

fluxanode

Joined Mar 23, 2014
Thanks for the replies, but does anyone have a good online source for the heavy and triple insulated magnet wire? In the USA?