Transformer connections confused

Kskinky8

Joined Jun 16, 2015
Hi thank you for everybody's help so I put 12ac in by the blue and red and got the following ,blue -yellow=24
Blue and black=142
Black and yellow=170
So if I put 24v in I'll get my desired output , but why does it have two large outputs ore whil it stay the same if I put 24v ac in and also how does one flip 24vdc to 24v ac ? Hence I wanna make an inverter out of it

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hi thank you for everybody's help so I put 12ac in by the blue and red and got the following ,blue -yellow=24
Blue and black=142
Black and yellow=170
So if I put 24v in I'll get my desired output , but why does it have two large outputs ore whil it stay the same if I put 24v ac in and also how does one flip 24vdc to 24v ac ? Hence I wanna make an inverter out of it
One could Google for example "Inverter Circuits" and find dozens of circuits similar to this one. The original circuit likely used 24 VDC. Around where I am at it's easier and less expensive to buy than build inverters, especially high power units.

Ron

djb

Joined May 17, 2008
I would measure resistance on all windings. If it is normal transformer at 50-60Hz you gonna have the low voltage side resistance under 5 ohms. High voltage side must have more turns on the winding so you expect that in the range of 1 Kohm. If you can't have this kind of measurements this means that this transformer is a high frequency transformer and you can't operate it as normal transformer. You need a high frequency switching flyback circuit to operate this. Also if the power was 1000 Watt i don't think this relatively small transformer can deliver 1000 watt on 50Hz, but can deliver maybe in the range of 20-40Khz. Also all measurements of our friend show "short circuit" = low resistance, and also any pair trip the mains!

All above statements lead to the conclusion that is a high frequency transformer.