TP4056 PROTECTION BOARD - MANUFACTURE ERROR

longpole001

Joined Sep 16, 2014
Hi guys i have had found an issue with ALL board purchased on the latest batch ( 100 units ) of tp4056 protection , from ebay , aliexpress

It appear that the 100R( R5) resistor and the 1K0 (R6) have been swapped on the pcb on the these style of boards, and from what i can see will not function correctly

This appears to be a common fault looking at any google picture on the web for this design PCB

Also attached is the circuit and another pcb layout which has the components correctly mounted
4056 PROTECT PCB ERROR.jpg
Not sure if others have found this prior , but simple search of web did not show it
Please comment and check your boards if you have this design
Cheers

tp4056 protection module cct.gif1e550d244ed08046aea50570b7b2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

longpole001

Joined Sep 16, 2014
This is serious stuff up on this module -

as can be confirmed in the attached datasheet of the DW01A , The CS input has now a 100R (R6) , which sets the voltage for charger detect / over current / short circuit

With VCC now having 1k0 ( R5) in place instead of 100R this reduces the voltage to the input of the chip and as such the voltage comparitor inputs on the input voltage

YOU SHOULD SWAP THESE RESISTORS

THIS MANUFACTURE ERROR SEEMS TO APPEAR CURRENTLY ON EVERY MODULE MADE USING THIS DESIGN LAYOUT

Attachments

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Yeah, well... that can happen with 'copy-that' manufacturing. But think of the money you're saving!

Sorry you got bit but those are the risks using eBay and Alibaba knock-offs. Thanks for the info, though.

Last edited:

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
LOL , its not an issue for the 100units i have , but its the millions that are out there that have the problem
It's good that you posted that even if it invited some unwelcome criticism. Sorry. I've been in the business long enough to remember when manufacturing meant reliability and accountability. Now, for too many, it's just lowest possible cost. Not a bad thing on the surface but besides the specific problem you identify here, when enough buyers bite on the super-cheap stuff, legitimate guys can't compete then shut down. That makes all of us hostage to the junk-miesters. For those of us who still build things, it's hard to find reliable suppliers and after paying what it takes to make it right, to compete. Glad I'm retiring.
Good luck!

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
If you look at the datasheet for the protection chip, the maximum Vcc current is 6 µA, so using 1k instead of 100 ohms will only change the voltage at the Vcc pin by 5.4 mV, which is a relatively small increase in the +50 mV maximum spec error (±50 mV) for overcharge voltage. Typical Icc is 3 µA, so the typical increase in overcharge voltage would be only 2.7 mV. Using 100 ohms instead of 1k at the CS pin compromises the latch-up immunity under a specific condition (battery over-discharged when the charger is connected). Overall, this slightly degrades overcharge protection for the battery (necessary when the charger chip loses its brain) and renders the protection chip more vulnerable to latch-up, It does not entirely prevent the chip from doing its job, though latchup might be destructive.

Pin 1 of the protection chip is misidentified in the annotated photo at #1 - it is at the other end on the same side.

longpole001

Joined Sep 16, 2014
too many sellers ,
i contacted the seller , he said "sorry but our stock all same , You want buy more , how many "

just stay away from this pcb layout , as any produced to date will have this problem

this does not negate that your still dealing with TP4056 clone ,(4056E) so try and get boards with the TC4056A chip , which now is becoming the main alternative to clones on modules , at least its an equivalent , has not been cloned so far,

the other pcb i listed at top of page seems fine and has no resistor placement error

cheers

Nasib

Joined Oct 23, 2019
If you look at the datasheet for the protection chip, the maximum Vcc current is 6 µA, so using 1k instead of 100 ohms will only change the voltage at the Vcc pin by 5.4 mV, which is a relatively small increase in the +50 mV maximum spec error (±50 mV) for overcharge voltage. Typical Icc is 3 µA, so the typical increase in overcharge voltage would be only 2.7 mV. Using 100 ohms instead of 1k at the CS pin compromises the latch-up immunity under a specific condition (battery over-discharged when the charger is connected). Overall, this slightly degrades overcharge protection for the battery (necessary when the charger chip loses its brain) and renders the protection chip more vulnerable to latch-up, It does not entirely prevent the chip from doing its job, though latchup might be destructive.

Pin 1 of the protection chip is misidentified in the annotated photo at #1 - it is at the other end on the same side.

Hi! i have developed a boar where this whole circuit is mounted... I realice that the DW01A IC is consuming 1.5mA!!! .. wtf...and i have used a 100ohm res in the vcc pin...have any of you experiment this issue too ?

Thnx!

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Hi guys i have had found an issue with ALL board purchased on the latest batch ( 100 units ) of tp4056 protection , from ebay , aliexpress

It appear that the 100R( R5) resistor and the 1K0 (R6) have been swapped on the pcb on the these style of boards, and from what i can see will not function correctly

This appears to be a common fault looking at any google picture on the web for this design PCB

Also attached is the circuit and another pcb layout which has the components correctly mounted
View attachment 153994
Not sure if others have found this prior , but simple search of web did not show it
Please comment and check your boards if you have this design
Cheers

View attachment 153995View attachment 153996
Thanks for the heads up. I checked the ones I have and they are OK but I will be on the lookout next time I order.
Regards,
Keith