Topo Map with flashing LED

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
yep. if you want I can draw a schematic. An engineer friend who used to hang around came up with another scheme using 2 4017 that would sequence up to 100 LEDs. It might put a crimp on other special effects, but I thought it was neat. It may even be able to do more when I or other people think about it.

At this point we are in the preliminary design phase. Nothing is set in stone, but you call the shots how you want to do it. You will have other members offering ideas that might fit in with your vision, like Bernard's. I would suggest keeping an open mind to new ideas.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
yep. if you want I can draw a schematic. An engineer friend who used to hang around came up with another scheme using 2 4017 that would sequence up to 100 LEDs. It might put a crimp on other special effects, but I thought it was neat. It may even be able to do more when I or other people think about it.

At this point we are in the preliminary design phase. Nothing is set in stone, but you call the shots how you want to do it. You will have other members offering ideas that might fit in with your vision, like Bernard's. I would suggest keeping an open mind to new ideas.

I would love a Schematic! Yes yes I am interested since I have sooooo many 4017s! Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Wendy may be alluding to a 10 X 10 matrix but taken apart & re assembled in a linear fashion. As at reset the 0 on 4017 is high, so may want to drop first LED giving 99 LED's. Not limited to 99, 10 X 17 = 170, or 4 4017's
17 X 17 = 289, just lots of wire but the logic is quite simple. A clock drives one 4017 which cycles thru its count,
illuminating one column of LEDs, on leaving 9, it advances second 4017 one count illuminating next column one at a time. Each column needs an invertor which makes an entry point for special effects which might give weird results.
When daisy chaining, I find it easier to use bare wire & fine plastic tubing cut to length.

Last edited:
I never used the 4017 IC, but i took a quick look at it's datasheet and it's extremely versatile. It can be cascaded using the carry out pin to count to 100 or 1000, cascaded to count to 17-25-33 and on. Using the correct(For your application) ic cascading style and the correct mode of 555 you could done some very nice effects with those LEDS, the only thing that worries me it's the physical disposal of the components, you could save wire if you had a big board just like in that video. Wire is very cheap were i live, so no problem for me, but i don't know for you.

Also the datasheet it's pretty self explanatory, but like me(when started with electronics) you probably don't understand all that information( i don't do also). The best approach would to search for videos of applications and try to learn more before even trying to see a schematic.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
Wendy may be alluding to a 10 X 10 matrix but taken apart & re assembled in a linear fashion. As at reset the 0 on 4017 is high, so may want to drop first LED giving 99 LED's. Not limited to 99, 10 X 17 = 170, or 4 4017's
17 X 17 = 289, just lots of wire but the logic is quite simple. A clock drives one 4017 which cycles thru its count,
illuminating one column of LEDs, on leaving 9, it advances second 4017 one count illuminating next column one at a time. Each column needs an invertor which makes an entry point for special effects which might give weird results.
When daisy chaining, I find it easier to use bare wire & fine plastic tubing cut to length.

I'm reviewing your reply and trying to understand what your saying since I'm really new to this. I have lots of wire just want to make sure I have the logic correct. Thanks for your reply!

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
I never used the 4017 IC, but i took a quick look at it's datasheet and it's extremely versatile. It can be cascaded using the carry out pin to count to 100 or 1000, cascaded to count to 17-25-33 and on. Using the correct(For your application) ic cascading style and the correct mode of 555 you could done some very nice effects with those LEDS, the only thing that worries me it's the physical disposal of the components, you could save wire if you had a big board just like in that video. Wire is very cheap were i live, so no problem for me, but i don't know for you.

Also the datasheet it's pretty self explanatory, but like me(when started with electronics) you probably don't understand all that information( i don't do also). The best approach would to search for videos of applications and try to learn more before even trying to see a schematic.
I would like a big board but I am stuck with what has been provided. I would love to use RGB's but it would make the display look awkward when led's are off so I am stuck doing single LED's 1 at a time. Thanks for the help

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016

Hi Wendy, that is a yes on the schematic. I think if I can get the larger quantity of LED's on a fade IN & OUT circuit and the other two groups on some kind of chase or if I can get the LED's to flow like describing water flowing through a pipe. I'm not sure what that would be called..

http://www.ling.fju.edu.tw/hearing/histor2.gif

thanks again for your help

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Here is what a 99 LED chaser might look like laid out in matrix form; just need to stack columns on top of preceding, just longer wires. A flowing effect might betterLong Chaser 00000.jpg be achieved with many short , 10, chasers in parallel.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
One of the colors could be random, maybe 10 random repeated as many times as needed to fill string.
As shown a 4022, 8 outputs is used but a 4017 or 2- 4017's could be used. I call it Fire Flies in a Bottle; bottle nice blue SKY vodka 750 ml.Random Pulse GEN. 00000.jpg

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Random # 2 00000.jpg Random # 2 00000.jpg Sorry, that was not final version, added LED drivers, & background flashing elimination, U 15-16.
Runs on 6 V adapter or 4 AA alk.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
Here is what a 99 LED chaser might look like laid out in matrix form; just need to stack columns on top of preceding, just longer wires. A flowing effect might betterView attachment 98806 be achieved with many short , 10, chasers in parallel.

Hi Bernard, I'm going to give this a try. I have so many 4017's but no 4023's. Looks like standard 2n2222 NPN's which I have a bunch. Thanks for your help! If you have any other suggestions please let me know. For this map I would like to have a few effects such as chasing and fade in & out.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
OMG dude that is crazy awesome!!! Much more advance then what i need but would love to do something like that in the future.

I would like to add LED's to a 67" x 48" TOPO map showing the rivers and terrain. There will be 3 buttons to activate each set (channels) of LED's First set is Red, second is green and third is blue. Each set is approximately 200 LED's except the red is about 300 depending on spacing. The map is mounted on a plastic foam material so I will drill each hole to hold a 3mm or 5mm LED.
When any of the buttons are pushed, all the LED's per that color would fade in and out continuously for 15 seconds then reset back to off.
I'm not sure how I would go about doing this. I will probably solder the current resistor directly to the LED's. I'm not sure how to do the fade in & out controlling and adding LED drivers for the long run. Sorry I am new to this but eager to learn.

Thanks again,
Steve

Oh and I love the coffee table!
This sounds like something better done in video than in hardware.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Timing of 99 LED chaser might be better if 750K were a 1 meg. pot in series with a 10k R & 20 uF to be 1 uF for a clock period around .15 sec. or a round trip of 15 sec. 4023 just brain fog, but do have a few 4022's.
Leave D 1 out if not wishing it to always be on when that channel is at reset ?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Bernard had the 100 sequencer schematic. It is much simpler than what I came up.

A friend of mine came up with it here...

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/100-led-chaser.81140/

You will note the schematic is very similar. If you find this approach just too unappealing I'll draw the 33 LED sequencer.

If you go to the end of the 555 article you will find a link to a finished PCB for the 25 LED version.

At this point you want a simple sequencer? Extra effects will be elsewhere in the circuit?

My sleeping schedule is all over the map. When I redraw this it will take a little while.

Last edited:

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
Bernard had the 100 sequencer schematic. It is much simpler than what I came up.

A friend of mine came up with it here...

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/100-led-chaser.81140/

You will note the schematic is very similar. If you find this approach just too unappealing I'll draw the 33 LED sequencer.

If you go to the end of the 555 article you will find a link to a finished PCB for the 25 LED version.

At this point you want a simple sequencer? Extra effects will be elsewhere in the circuit?

My sleeping schedule is all over the map. When I redraw this it will take a little while.

lednoob

Joined Jan 13, 2016
Here is what a 99 LED chaser might look like laid out in matrix form; just need to stack columns on top of preceding, just longer wires. A flowing effect might betterView attachment 98806 be achieved with many short , 10, chasers in parallel.

Hi Bernard, On this Long chaser schematic, on the lower right corner between the NPN and the 4017, you have resistors at pin 11 to the base of the NPN. what is 7K5?