To everything there is a season...

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
...and it looks like mine will be drawing to a close a lot sooner than I expected.

I spent the last week in the hospital getting blood-tested, endoscoped, CAT scanned and MRI'd, and the verdict is in: Stage 4 malignant cancer, inoperable and incurable, of the pancreas, liver and stomach. If I opt for the most aggresive form of chemotherapy, the docs are predicting I'll be around for another couple of months to perhaps a year, maybe two. But no more. Other than slowing down the progression of the disease, there's nothing to be done.

Son and daughter-in-law have strongly suggested I move from where I am now (just outside of Philly) to their town just north of Pittsburgh so I can be 10 minutes away from them instead of 5 hours. I'm going to go for it, as it will be good for me to be close to them and to my two young granddaughters as the end draws near.

They will be getting the ball rolling by starting to research apartment offerings in the immediate area with the right combination of rent and size. Once they've found a few candidates I'll trek on out there to check them out and hopefully plunk down my cash to lock in the best one. Then we get on with the details of moving.

I've enjoyed my time here and will keep you all posted as things progress.

P.S. I have an absolutely TITANIC collection of electronic parts and equipment that neither of my sons has any interest in, and will happily give them away free to anyone interested. Only catch is, you'll have to come here and get them; I'd suggest either a pickup truck or large SUV. Let me know; first come, first served.

Regards,
OBW0549/Dave

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Wow... So sorry to hear this news.

When I first joined, you were very welcoming. Thank you for everything! Hope to keep hearing from you if you feel up to it.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Very sorry to hear that i liked to read your posts so i hope you continue.

Also, dont give up hope just yet. Doctors prognoses are often incorrect.
Hawking lived something like 50 years after he was told he would not live more than a few years or something.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Sorry to hear the news, you will be missed, I had fun reading your road trips, I’m glad you had the chance to do that, something I need to do as well.

I haven’t gone for my annual physical, I lost my Doctor at the clinic. I’m also supposed to go every 2 years till 70 to get a colonoscopy, since I retired I haven’t taken the time off my new job for it. 6 polyps were remove last time I went in lucky it wasn’t cancer, time to schedule, this is a wake up call.

Thank you,

kv

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Hello there .
:confused:Sir
The key word in that sentence is "prove." I will consider someone an authority if, over time, they consistently show themselves worthy of being considered one-- and anyone who demands to be considered an authority, is automatically disbarred from consideration. At least, by me.
I have been a voyeur for many years now monitoring the monitors and heavy hitters on this site. Waiting to post a question. You have answered so many questions to so many other individuals, in doing so I need not ask. This is my feeble attempt in expressing my gratitude for your guidance,I used to be rather timid and unsure myself. Because of your quote and the way you carry yourself .that is no longer the case.
Thank you! Sir.

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009
Very sad news. I hope that there are some more good times with your family (and a few more interesting problems to keep you busy here!).

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
You've made a positive impact on a lot of people's lives and you will be missed Dave. Until then, keep your chin up - it ain't over till it's over!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Ouch, that is a harsh message.
I have seen a lot of good from you on this forum.
I hope you will have a good time left with your family.

Bertus

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Sorry to hear the news, you will be missed, I had fun reading your road trips, I’m glad you had the chance to do that, something I need to do as well.
Provided I feel well enough to travel by next Spring, I may well take another road trip.

Second Son came out here from Pittsburgh to assist before/during/after my stay in the hospital and he and I were talking yesterday about taking a trip out to the West Coast together to visit First Son. Since he's not too fond of driving across Flyover Country, what we'd probably do is I would drive to Denver, meet him at the airport, then we'd go on together by car the rest of the way to California. And on the way back we'd simply reverse the procedure.

Gotta get in one more ROAD TRIP!!!

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
That must be painful to deal with. I hope you can remain active here, though your priorities may shift. I, for one, will miss you and your presence. Good luck from here on.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm very saddened to learn of your prognosis. I hope you're still able able to do some of the things that you enjoy in your remaining time.

I liked the Bay Area weather. That was an old stomping ground of mine for a dozen years.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I am extremely saddened to hear this -- you are one of my favorites here.

We had a nice lady on the mountain that was diagnosed a few years ago with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She fought it and went into remission for a couple of years. It came back and took her earlier this year, but she thoroughly enjoyed that additional time with family and friends.

Provided I feel well enough to travel by next Spring, I may well take another road trip.

Second Son came out here from Pittsburgh to assist before/during/after my stay in the hospital and he and I were talking yesterday about taking a trip out to the West Coast together to visit First Son. Since he's not too fond of driving across Flyover Country, what we'd probably do is I would drive to Denver, meet him at the airport, then we'd go on together by car the rest of the way to California. And on the way back we'd simply reverse the procedure.

Gotta get in one more ROAD TRIP!!!
If your path does come through Colorado and you have time, let me know. I'll do my best to make it up there and treat you to lunch.

P.S. I have an absolutely TITANIC collection of electronic parts and equipment that neither of my sons has any interest in, and will happily give them away free to anyone interested. Only catch is, you'll have to come here and get them; I'd suggest either a pickup truck or large SUV. Let me know; first come, first served.
As you may recall, when RichardO passed away the tech folks up here found good homes for most of his huge collection of things in the hands of hobbyists and enthusiasts. I think he would have found that legacy comforting. If you are interested in making sure that your stuff fuels a similar legacy and become concerned that it might not, let's talk. I will have a few weeks free in another month, so a cross-country trip is not out of the question.