to construct inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabiya

Joined Nov 20, 2011
can anyone please tell me the accurate parameters for constructing 1nH and2.2nH.............please...i need it urgently.......

thanks in advance

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
can anyone please tell me the accurate parameters for constructing 1nH and2.2nH.............please...i need it urgently.......

thanks in advance
Those are very small values, in the range of stray inductance of leads and wires; hence, it's very difficult to get accurate parameters. But, a straight piece of wire less than 1 cm in length, or a small single turn loop inductor, of even smaller diameter, might get you in that range. If you are making a printed circuit board, then you can make a trace behave as the inductor.

You need to know current levels to get the right wire diameter.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You couldn't use a whole loop. More like a slight kink in a very short piece of wire.

The leads on a TO220 package have somewhere between 4nH and 8nH inductance, depending on how long you cut them off - and they are straight and flat.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
1/2 turn of a 1/4 watt resistor wire around a 1/4 watt resistor is about 5nH, can't really tell since my hand near it changed the reading a lot.

Are you sure you didn't mean millihenry or microhenry?

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
You couldn't use a whole loop. More like a slight kink in a very short piece of wire.
I think that's true from a practical point of view. The reason why I mentioned this is because a single loop inductance formula indicated that a 36 gauge magnet wire wound with a 1 mm single loop would make a 1.4 nH inductor. This is barely in the practical range, but then one needs to consider lead connections and the difficulty of doing this accurately.

It would be interesting to know the details of the application and the frequency range. Is this a radio frequency design, ... microwave ... ? What are the other components in the system, what is their size and how are they connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.