Timed LED lights (like drag racing "Christmas Tree" starting lights)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
How many lights do you want(Just one?) I'm stuck on the light tree concept?)Is there an LED that lights up wh0en the ball tosser starts its sequence?On the ball tosser itself?
Have you ever play with a CDS cell?( They used to be known as an electric eye or LDR (Light dependent resistor)I there is a light as I have asked it can be used to trigger the tight tree. You may notice I am a graphical type of person.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The current design as I have envisioned would use the first LED to start the sequencer. I am a huge believer in KISS

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
If the idea is to focus your's dog's attention on the ball, then I think your first light pattern that draws his focus toward a point, where the lights moved toward the exit port in a traveling pattern, would be more effective.

If there is a constant time delay between when a ball is placed in the chute and when it is fired, then maybe you can tap into the switch that is visible in the chute and use that signal to start the light sequence.

ak

CaptStephan

Joined Feb 14, 2018
I was thinking of using a breadboard that I have (working on some other little projects too) and then maybe getting a small board and soldering it all up once it is working like we want.

I think I agree with @AnalogKid on the light sequence after thinking about it for a bit. The idea here is to move the focus from the drop point to the launch point.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Maybe start with a beam break, IR LED & IR transistor, 555 2 sec. pulser, 4022 or 4017 counter, driver, ULN2004 etc. , & 5 groups of LEDs.
Ball breaks the beam resetting counter which releases 555 & count begins; first =4 LED on 2nd 3 LED on, 3rd
= 2 LEDs, 4th = 2 LEDs, 5th + 1 LED, & 6th + 555 reset which freezes operation with no LEDs on ??
I eliminated 5 ANDs.

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I started with a CD4093 Quad Schmitt NAND gate for the oscillator and control logic, but an unused section of the 2004 does everything. Pulling the 4017 reset input high and then low starts the sequence. With these component values the lights move at 1 second per step. Decrease R1 to increase the step rate. As above, the first light step on about 50% longer than the other steps.

Missing is whatever it takes to have the machine trigger the circuit.

ak
Dog-Ball-Chaser-2.gif

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Here is what I had in mind in post # 29. Might be able to mount a lever type Micro Sw. in throat of ball recipitcal
instead of IR beam breaker.BALL LAUNCHER 00000.jpg

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My thought was the elecric eye responding tothe yellow LED. However some experimentation will be needed to see if the idea is practical

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Bernard, I think your reset polarity is inverted. When the ball breaks the beam, the 4017 reset input will be pulled low by R2. Once the ball has passed, the beam will re-establish, pulling R2 high and holding the 4017 in reset.

ak

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I like the microswitch idea in #29, but it requires a narrow range of ball diameters.

TS: Does this device work with a wide range of ball sizes, or is it designed for only one size?

ak

CaptStephan

Joined Feb 14, 2018
it is intended for a specific diameter. Mini tennis balls only. There is a switch in the throat that is tripped to start the throwing sequence.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
If you can get to those wires, then we can work with whatever the signal is.

Also, do you have a feel for the time delay between when the ball trips the switch and when it is ejected?

ak

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Thanks AK, for the catch. My scratch pad was right, I just can't copy.
The Cap. said 3 sec & watching the videos that seem about right.
That would be great if the switch were ref. to +9 or ground. Is there room inside the container for a circuit board ?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Can you get photocell Capt Stephan? Trey change the resistance in light.You can attach one to a meter and see if it responds to the main yellow LED, This is what I meant by some experimentation required.