I need a timed switch for 12VDC motor.

depman

Joined Feb 27, 2024
So, I have a simple need. I have a switch in my dash that is momentary contact. I need that switch to apply power to a wire to open a motor for 0-10 seconds and then drop the power off. Then when I push the same button again, I need to apply power to a different wire to spin the motor closed for 0-10 seconds and drop the power off. I want that time to be adjustable. The other item is, when the motor is open, I'd like to send a signal back to the switch to turn its led indicator light on. Hopefully I'm explaining this correctly? System in 12vdc, if that matters? Anyone know a relay or set of relays to make this happen?? Thanks in advance

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Many members have questions. It would be helpful if you used a more descriptive title for your posts.

Your terminology seems odd. What do open and close mean in your context? Are you talking about a motor that spins in both directions depending on power polarity?

depman

Joined Feb 27, 2024
Welcome to AAC!

Many members have questions. It would be helpful if you used a more descriptive title for your posts.

Your terminology seems odd. What do open and close mean in your context? Are you talking about a motor that spins in both directions depending on power polarity?
Its a 12vdc exhuast cut out motor that opens a valve, and closes a valve. And yes spins in both directions

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
You would be better-off using 2 momentary-contact Push-Buttons with no timer,
using a single Push-Button complicates things quite a bit,
and a timer can not compensate for unexpected Valve speed, stickiness, or jamming,
but You can easily compensate by just listening to the exhaust-sound.

If You are going to be using standard "Bosch-style" Cube-Relays,
they will need to be the "5-Pin-style",
and You will only need 2 of them, plus a Fuse-Holder, and no other parts.

Actually, with more expensive "Double-Throw" Push-Buttons, (~$25.oo-pair ),
You won't even need the Relays,
just the 2 Push-Buttons, a Fuse-Holder with a 10-Amp-Fuse, and some 18ga. Lamp-Cord from a Hardware-Store,
that's the complete, bullet-proof, and much more reliable, setup.