Through-hole op-amps, your favorite?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The availability of through-hole parts is rapidly evaporating! I'm looking for a dual op-amp in a DIP-8 package. What do you use? Is there something widely used that might be available for longer into the future?

Just 4 years ago I chose the TLV2721 as my go-to, general purpose op-amp. It's rail-to-rail and has other nice features. It was to be a more modern replacement for my previous old go-to, the LM358. But the TLV2721 is no longer available in a through-hole package!

A quick search on Mouser came up NO rail-to-rail op-amps in DIP8. I don't necessarily need R-R but I do need good operation near the lower rail. Anything better than the LM358 should be OK for my purposes.

[update] Well I must have been in a parallel universe for a while because now when I look on Mouser, there are plenty of options including my beloved TLV2721. So I'm ordering more of those but I think my question is still relevant.

Last edited:

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
The availability of through-hole parts is rapidly evaporating! I'm looking for a dual op-amp in a DIP-8 package. What do you use? Is there something widely used that might be available for longer into the future?

Just 4 years ago I chose the TLV2721 as my go-to, general purpose op-amp. It's rail-to-rail and has other nice features. It was to be a more modern replacement for my previous old go-to, the LM358. But the TLV2721 is no longer available in a through-hole package!

A quick search on Mouser came up NO rail-to-rail op-amps in DIP8. I don't necessarily need R-R but I do need good operation near the lower rail. Anything better than the LM358 should be OK for my purposes.

[update] Well I must have been in a parallel universe for a while because now when I look on Mouser, there are plenty of options including my beloved TLV2721. So I'm ordering more of those but I think my question is still relevant.
The Burr-Brown OPA-27 and OPa-37 are my favorites. They're now made by Texas Instruments.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The Burr-Brown OPA-27 and OPa-37 are my favorites. They're now made by Texas Instruments.
Huh, those look pretty nice. I'd swear that when I looked at them at Mouser, they had operating voltage at 12V or below, and I rejected them for that reason. But the data sheet shows 22V. I'm having a bad day at Mouser.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My favorite "jelly bean" RRIO opamps in DIP are the LMC6482 (dual, 8-pin) and LMC6484 (quad, 14 pin), both CMOS with really low Ib and 1 MHz GBW. There's also the LM6132/LM6134 bipolar RRIO parts in DIP, with 10 MHz GBW.
Thanks, those both look nice for a lot of miscellaneous applications. A little pricier than my TLV2721 but still inexpensive.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
5532: sufficiently fast,relatively high current drive, plentyful. And dirt cheap.

You may also find tda1308 in pdip package but smt is more available. Amazing general purpos opamp.

edit: previously I wrote tda2822 incorrectly. since corrected.

Last edited:

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
I don't know how indicative of the whole industry it is, but I think 've noticed Mouser's TH offerings go down a bit. Try somewhere else? Mouser is my go-to but if I don't find what I need I can usually find it elsewhere.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Distributors like Mouser and such are geared for manufacturers and not many people manufacture through hole stuff any more. Yes, DIP stuff is getting harder to find. But when you do find them they are cheap. Jameco is more oriented to the hobbyist and student. Electronic Goldmine distributes "surplus" stuff.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015

AD822
RR Output and almost RR Input
Works on +V or + and - V to 15 V.
FET input

Notes on others listed:

LMC6484
CMOS
RRIO
+3 V to +15 V

LM6132
RRIO
10 MHz
+5 V (+2.7 V to +24 V)

OPA27
Bipolar input
±15 V

MCP6002
1.8 V to 5.5 V
1 MHz
RRIO
CMOS

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

One thing i noticed missing from this thread is the cost per IC chip.

One of my long time favorites is the LM358 which i have used in all kinds of stuff. Yes not for everything, but no op amp is. Price is more than reasonable at sometimes as little as 50 cents per IC chip. Widely available also.

I've looked into some better chips and have purchased some special purpose ones like with extremely low input offset, but they are always more expensive. Price does play a part in the selection.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi,

One thing i noticed missing from this thread is the cost per IC chip.

One of my long time favorites is the LM358 which i have used in all kinds of stuff. Yes not for everything, but no op amp is. Price is more than reasonable at sometimes as little as 50 cents per IC chip. Widely available also.

I've looked into some better chips and have purchased some special purpose ones like with extremely low input offset, but they are always more expensive. Price does play a part in the selection.
Absolutely. I still use LM358 and even LM741, LM324 and such most often. Seldom I need RRIO and stray to pricey chips. AD820 and AD822 can go for about $5.00 but it is hard to find RRIO and + and - 15 V power at the same time.
High frequency, low noise, low offset? Seldom need it.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Here are three more bipolar RRIO DIP opamps that I've used and like, all from Linear Technology's "Over-The-Top" series in which the input common-mode range extends above the positive supply rail (handy for high-side current-sensing applications). The following are all duals, and have quad versions available, also in DIP:

LT1638: 1.2 MHz GBW, 230 μA Is, 2.5V to 44V Vs, -0.4V to 44V Vcm (independent of Vs)
LT1490A: 200 kHz GBW, 50 μA Is, 2.0V to 44V Vs, 0V to 44V Vcm (independent of Vs)
LT1494: 2.7 kHz GBW, 1.5 μA Is, 2.2V to 36V Vs, 0V to 36V Vcm (independent of Vs)

Not RRIO, but available in DIP and worth having around for times when you need their standout characteristics:

LT1793: Low-noise, medium-speed JFET input amplifier that excels in signal-conditioning applications for high-impedance transducers such as piezoelectric accelerometers.
LM6171: Blazingly fast (100 MHz GBW, 3600 V/μs slew rate) opamp with low supply current (2.5 mA) and high output drive capability (+/- 100 mA).

Not RRI, nor available in DIP (I buy the SO8 version and use them with these adapters), but worth mentioning because of their extreme precision:

MAX44246: 5 MHz GBW, 550 μA Is, 2.7V to 36V Vs, 0V to Vs-1.5V Vcm, 5 μV max Vos, 20 nV/°C max Vos tempco

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Here are three more bipolar RRIO DIP opamps that I've used and like, all from Linear Technology's "Over-The-Top" series in which the input common-mode range extends above the positive supply rail (handy for high-side current-sensing applications). The following are all duals, and have quad versions available, also in DIP:

LT1638: 1.2 MHz GBW, 230 μA Is, 2.5V to 44V Vs, -0.4V to 44V Vcm (independent of Vs)
LT1490A: 200 kHz GBW, 50 μA Is, 2.0V to 44V Vs, 0V to 44V Vcm (independent of Vs)
LT1494: 2.7 kHz GBW, 1.5 μA Is, 2.2V to 36V Vs, 0V to 36V Vcm (independent of Vs)

Not RRIO, but available in DIP and worth having around for times when you need their standout characteristics:

LT1793: Low-noise, medium-speed JFET input amplifier that excels in signal-conditioning applications for high-impedance transducers such as piezoelectric accelerometers.
LM6171: Blazingly fast (100 MHz GBW, 3600 V/μs slew rate) opamp with low supply current (2.5 mA) and high output drive capability (+/- 100 mA).

Not RRI, nor available in DIP (I buy the SO8 version and use them with these adapters), but worth mentioning because of their extreme precision:

MAX44246: 5 MHz GBW, 550 μA Is, 2.7V to 36V Vs, 0V to Vs-1.5V Vcm, 5 μV max Vos, 20 nV/°C max Vos tempco
It is hard to find RRIO that accepts bipolar power rails. I use them for variable power sources for breadboards.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
It is hard to find RRIO that accepts bipolar power rails. I use them for variable power sources for breadboards.
Huh????? Sorry, but that's just plain nonsense: ALL opamps can be operated off (+) and (-) rails, and ALL can be operated off a single supply. The only distinction between opamps that are called "single supply" and others, is that "single supply" opamps have an input common-mode range that includes the (-) supply terminal. That is, they can function with their inputs all the way down to the (-) supply rail; so when the (-) rail is connected to circuit common (or "ground") instead of a negative voltage, the opamp can still handle ground-based signals.

Similarly, a "rail-to-rail input" opamp has an input common-mode range that spans from the (-) supply terminal all the way up to the (+) supply terminal, and will function properly with input voltages anywhere in between the voltages on its supply terminals.

No opamp, anywhere, gives a fat rat's derriere whether it is operated from one supply or from two; all they care about is whether their inputs lie within the specified input common-mode range.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi again,

Some good info coming out in this thread.

OBW: Good picks, but maybe you can provide some rough pricing with those to go along with the ratings? That would be nice to see all in one page.

hp: Yeah i seldom need anything too good, but a couple times i needed a very low input offset and found one from Microchip. Cant remember the price though.
I also needed a higher speed like 10MHz and after pricing one from LT for 6 dollars a piece i changed my mind. Now i see some better priced units in this thread so i might go back to that project again and upgrade from the LM358. It's nice to get a better chip that matches the pinout of the LM358 that way we can experiment with the LM358 and then just pop in the replacement once everything is working good.