Thought for the day...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The tests so far have been run at extremely cold temperatures below 77 Kelvin (-196 °C, -321 °F). If the TU Delft team can figure out how to run the JJ superconductor at more normal temperatures — something Ali says is possible with "known High Tc Superconductors" — then they will be much closer to the next step, which is to investigate whether it can be scaled for mass production.
A lot of hype but 77 Kelvin is not that bad. It's not a practical temperature for a desktop but I work with commercial cryogenic systems that run in the 10 to 30 Kelvin range with parts you can buy surplus for a few thousand.

https://www.lakeshore.com/docs/defa...gerationsystemdatasheet.pdf?sfvrsn=6a6bee38_4

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
That was the key to the old Cray "super computers". Liquid cooling and now even my home "desktop" tower has it. It's all a matter of degree to which it is cooled.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I wish they would finally make a universal unit of measure, just stop using the imperial measurement system and let's all settle on metric.
1651358669952.png

That would mean the elimination of the Barleycorn. :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_size

• The barleycorn is an old English unit that equates to 1⁄3 inch (8.47 mm). This is the basis for current UK and North American shoe sizes, with the largest shoe size taken as twelve inches (a size 12) i.e. 30.5 cm, and then counting backwards in barleycorn units, so a size 11 is 11.67 inches or 29.6 cm.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I wish they would finally make a universal unit of measure, just stop using the imperial measurement system and let's all settle on metric.
The only reason people justify metric is because it is base-10. If base-10 is so great, why is the most common quantity of ham ordered at a charcuterie in France, 250g? More like the imperial method of halves, quarters, ... in any case, what's the benefit of base-10? So you can quickly convert your ham purchase to 0.00025 tons? I don't see the benefit.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
That would mean eliminating the Society of Automotive Engineers standard which is ingrained into almost every US industry and product. We were told back in the 60s that Metric was just around the corner and coming fast but someone neglected to do the math as to how much it would cost to retool the entire US manufacturing and still support the legacy SAE standard built products and how to pay for it to be done. The cost or retooling alone would bankrupt the majority of US manufacturers.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
That would mean eliminating the Society of Automotive Engineers standard which is ingrained into almost every US industry and product. We were told back in the 60s that Metric was just around the corner and coming fast but someone neglected to do the math as to how much it would cost to retool the entire US manufacturing and still support the legacy SAE standard built products and how to pay for it to be done. The cost or retooling alone would bankrupt the majority of US manufacturers.
Ha. The automotive is the only industry that has adopted metric. Almost every bolt on modern American car is metric.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Point being that it didn't happen fast like it was foretold to. I always hated vehicles that combined Metric and SAE. Please, one or the other but not both...