Thought for the day...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
'I’m Done Talking'
https://www.chronogram.com/hudsonva...-heels-of-his-latest-book/Content?oid=9498551
In high school, Nance studied French, Spanish, and Latin, and, on the weekends, Russian and Chinese. His fascination with world events and counterterrorism also came early. "I saw coverage on TV about the [Palestinian militant group] Black September Organization, but the Munich massacre in 1972 was what really locked me into finding out more about terrorism, and I started reading everything I could find about it," he says. "The Cold War was going on then, and I studied what was happening. I started noticing how you had Russia and the KGB popping up in all of these places that were hotspots. I could see that [terrorists and the KBG] had political leanings and that they were bad guys. I wanted to be one of the good guys."

Nance enlisted in 1981, joining the specialized field of naval cryptology. "I came in knowing Russian and Mandarin, and the Navy took value in that, but I ran up against a little racism from some of the instructors," he says. "They were these older Russian guys and they didn't want to spend time on me, because they couldn't see how a black guy who spoke Russian could be useful in the field. But then I started learning Arabic, because, hey, that's a language that someone who looks like me might speak."
1650399620402.png

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Personally, I don't like guns, and I don't even have a gun. But I appreciate them as pieces of engineering. And I also like to know the history of technology and in particular how wars can bring some sort of positive progress. A silver lining sort of thing. The jet engine, the invention of nylon, and even advances in medical science owe their existence to times of war.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
A superconducting diode:

The tests so far have been run at extremely cold temperatures below 77 Kelvin (-196 °C, -321 °F). If the TU Delft team can figure out how to run the JJ superconductor at more normal temperatures — something Ali says is possible with "known High Tc Superconductors" — then they will be much closer to the next step, which is to investigate whether it can be scaled for mass production.