Thought for the day...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
RoundAbouts:
This should clear a few things up.

View attachment 248955
Thats funny, I remember a Phycology Class once where they did a study can’t recall where (Europe), but I know it was an intersection with fatalities several a year, someone proposed removing all and any walkways stop lights with nothing to tell you what to do, was near a city center, people would stop not knowing what to do would wait for one another’s actions and if a cyclist pedestrian or other, no one was seriously injured. They would mentally slow down and physically slow down or stop depending on how they reacted.

Sorry, I just remembered it. Great Experiment though.

kv

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Growing up in the UK I am very familiar with roundabouts and they work Very well when every one know the rules.
A couple of years now, they started introducing them here, but didn't really post any instructions, there were motorists going the wrong way round and a bit of chaos at first. :oops:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Growing up in the UK I am very familiar with roundabouts and they work Very well when every one know the rules.
A couple of years now, they started introducing them here, but didn't really post any instructions, there were motorists going the wrong way round and a bit of chaos at first. :oops:
Growing up in Massachusetts, there’s almost a roundabout on every highway.

Can anyone here think about making an actual discussion instead of pasting in clips from old movies? Please. And BTW the direction of flushing has been discussed for years all across this internet of ours so just stop it!

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Can anyone here think about making an actual discussion instead of pasting in clips from old movies? Please. And BTW the direction of flushing has been discussed for years all across this internet of ours so just stop it!
Like your Blogspot BTW, but geez loosen up a bit, your going to have a coronary. Us youngsters gotta have a bit of fun now and then ya know.

Life‘s to short man. This is the forum where we can bust loose if we want to, as long as we follow the Verboten.

I don’t think this is it.

Cheers,
kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I once had a toilet in Arizona that would flush counterclockwise. I think it is all in the toilet design.
\
Never thought about that, interesting thought. So, does flush jet hole at the bottom, create an aided ‘Venturi Effect’ if so, that would be interesting. By design the toilet might have a flow once started would finish in a result of that, personally I found the idea just ludicrous when I first encountered it not even entertaining the idea.

kv

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Look up Coriolis Effect... One of the most accurate and high temp (hot molten rosin) flow meters we used was based on it. Full bore/unrestricted flow and capable of being "steam blown" to clear the line after pumping. Measurement was based on the "twisting" of the stainless-steel pipe loop inside the case by measuring its displacement due to Coriolis Effect. Neat stuff!
1632795689065.png

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Look up Coriolis Effect... One of the most accurate and high temp (hot molten rosin) flow meters we used was based on it. Full bore/unrestricted flow and capable of being "steam blown" to clear the line after pumping. Measurement was based on the "twisting" of the stainless-steel pipe loop inside the case by measuring its displacement due to Coriolis Effect. Neat stuff!
View attachment 248974
I was kidding, of course ... and I thought that J was too ... although now I'm not so sure ... That post of yours is very interesting stuff, btw

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
\
Never thought about that, interesting thought. So, does flush jet hole at the bottom, create an aided ‘Venturi Effect’ if so, that would be interesting. By design the toilet might have a flow once started would finish in a result of that, personally I found the idea just ludicrous when I first encountered it not even entertaining the idea.

kv
I think it is the angle of the orifices below the rim that start the momentum of the water water rotation in the bowl as the siphon takes effect. The bowl is too small and the timescale too short for only Coriolis effect based on the earth's rotation to cause back-to-back flushes to swirl in the same direction caused. Flow caused by the earths rotation can develop in large tanks over time but not a toilet that is flushed regularly.

The Coriolis Mass flow meters known as MicroMotion Coriolis meters are often assumed to be based on the earths rotation by the operators and technicians at chemical, resin and petroleum plants. However, the Coriolis effect is a general effect and the precise nature of these meters has nothing to do with the earth's rotation and everything to do with the vibration frequency applied to the looped tubes in the flow path of the liquid.

From the Emerson MicroMotion website...
Coriolis Flow Meter Principles.
The basic operation of Coriolis flow meters is based on the principles of motion mechanics. As fluid moves through a vibrating tube it is forced to accelerate as it moves toward the point of peak-amplitude vibration. Conversely, decelerating fluid moves away from the point of peak amplitude as it exits the tube. The result is a twisting reaction of the flow tube during flowing conditions as it traverses each vibration cycle.
1632796921145.jpeg

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Doesn't matter if it is a toilet, sink, funnel, or tank. Completely eliminate any piping or fitting. Water will drain through an opening based on Coriolis Effect. Just like tides and the moon, it's not a huge force but does the job.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Doesn't matter if it is a toilet, sink, funnel, or tank. Completely eliminate any piping or fitting. Water will drain through an opening based on Coriolis Effect. Just like tides and the moon, it's not a huge force but does the job.
Coreolis effect, yes. Coriolis effect caused by earth's rotation, no. If the meter worked because of the earth's rotation, the vibration (a.k.a. "MicroMotion") would not be required for the meter to work.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Coreolis effect, yes. Coriolis effect caused by earth's rotation, no. If the meter worked because of the earth's rotation, the vibration (a.k.a. "MicroMotion") would not be required for the meter to work.
I can’t help it, but this is so funny I wish it was in the Coronavirus thread, that thing needs a lift no one is able to be fluid about it. All I know is if a toilet flushed down with out a swirl, toilet paper wouldn’t twist as it does, thereby unable to remove it’s contents as efficiently. I’m with @jgessling on this one. Still funny though lol

So, design is at the very heart of it, can’t believe I was sucked into it.
kv