Thought for the day...

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Your comparison is completely bogus. The ancient road has been carefully rebuilt to show to modern tourists. And the ancient road didn’t have to carry heavy motorized vehicles. All you have demonstrated is that a carefully built road with no traffic looks better. So what?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture...ctivism-some-organizers-already-hate-n1278913

CBS announced a competition show about activism. Some organizers already hate it.
The blowback comes as the role of social media in activism remains a topic of debate, particularly whether so-called “slacktivism” actually achieves anything substantial.

Adam Gismondi, director of impact at Tufts University's Institute for Democracy & Higher Education, which conducts non-partisan research on college civic education and participation, said the initial backlash is unsurprising.

“The marketing of this show amplifies the more cynical aspects of activism that some may see as performative,” Gismondi told NBC. “It emphasized the celebrity factor, it emphasized that it’s a competition and it made activism appear, in some ways, to be a zero-sum game.”
1631468172560.png

NSFW language

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
We had one a while back that wanted to come back home but was barred from entering the US. Hot news item for a while that died out. No idea of how it was finally adjudicated. The adage "You made your bed, now sleep in it" comes to mind.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I've got no skin in this game but it seems she made her bed, slept in it and got bed-bugs. I can't see her as being very dangerous but there's also no reason to let her back in after the stunts she pulled.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58573501
Shamima Begum, who left the UK for Syria as a teenager, says she will regret joining the Islamic State group for the rest of her life and has offered to help the UK fight terrorism.
She told the BBC she could be "useful to society" and it would be a waste to let her "rot" in a Syrian camp.
The 22-year-old is accused of playing an active role in IS - she denies that.
Sajid Javid is standing by his decision to revoke her citizenship.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I agree, but how young was she when she did those actions? I think she should be treated as a juvenile offender (because offend she indeed did). But given her an adult's punishment, and a permanent one at that, seems a bit harsh to me.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I agree, but how young was she when she did those actions? I think she should be treated as a juvenile offender (because offend she indeed did). But given her an adult's punishment, and a permanent one at that, seems a bit harsh to me.
She's alive, healthy and young. I think she will manage somehow.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
On an allied note, the subject of 'draft dodgers' as they are known.
I knew and worked with a few US citizens that made a move across the border into Canada to escape the draft in a time of a US wartime conflict, I can sympathize with those that do not agree with their governments position on a subject and feel strongly enough to 'get out of Dodge'
And leave their country, as is their right, but morally should they be allowed to return when everything they opposed has ceased to occur and died down, mainly on the backs of those that stayed and stuck it out, for better or worse?.
I have mixed feelings but tend to come down on the side them losing citizenship for their chosen 'desertion'. :confused: