Thought for the day...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
On an allied note, the subject of 'draft dodgers'
I have mixed feelings but tend to come down on the side them losing citizenship for their chosen 'desertion'. :confused:
The subject of Draft Dogging, something I’ve thought about, when I was younger, my lot numbers were ready to be pulled, however still in school the war ended. With no idea fully or clear objective as I understood at that time. I find it difficult to rap my mind around, if you know the reason for a conflict and if it’s of national interest support for your Country or a World conflict, then maybe I would have been mentally ready and committed. I had none of those. I’ve heard others say, if you went you were just cannon fodder, in the end you die valiantly for a cause that didn’t actually provide gain for their country or ours. It was started by France, ended by China.

After we left Millions of people still lost their lives it was horrible, for that I’m still baffled. Pol Pot will ever be burn in my memories. Hitler provided a political agenda or model for him to follow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian_genocide

The massacres ended when the Vietnamese military invaded in 1978 and toppled the Khmer Rouge regime. By January 1979, 1.5 to 2 million people had died due to the Khmer Rouge's policies, including 200,000–300,000 Chinese Cambodians, 90,000 Muslims, and 20,000 Vietnamese Cambodians.[18][19] 20,000 people passed through the Security Prison 21, one of the 196 prisons the Khmer Rouge operated,[3][20] and only seven adults survived.[21] The prisoners were taken to the Killing Fields, where they were executed (often with pickaxes, to save bullets)[22] and buried in mass graves. Abduction and indoctrination of children was widespread, and many were persuaded or forced to commit atrocities.
kv

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

After we left Millions of people still lost their lives it was horrible, for that I’m still baffled. Pol Pot will ever be burn in my memories. Hitler provided a political agenda or model for him to follow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian_genocide

kv
Watching escapees from Vietnamese Cambodian genocide on a ship off the coast face a high probability of death from the elements on a leaky boat or from from criminals (I had no idea pirates still existed) on boats preying on them complete changed my view about life, evil and human nature. After seeing that, I knew there were no limits to evil and that 'ordinary' people could do extra-ordinary things to others in the worst possible ways.

1980 WESTPAC

A typical rescue operation of the lucky ones, most of the time all we saw was a burnt to the waterline hulk that needed to be sunk.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Watching escapees from Vietnamese Cambodian genocide on a ship off the coast face a high probability of death from the elements on a leaky boat or from from criminals (I had no idea pirates still existed) on boats preying on them complete changed my view about life, evil and human nature. After seeing that, I knew there were no limits to evil and that 'ordinary' people could do extra-ordinary things to others in the worst possible ways.
My son was good friends with a kid from Cambodia, he’s Mong. He taught me how to cook a few dishes, tuff as Sh………….kid. I enjoyed taking with him. His Father taught him well, excellent fighter. He was saved as a child, on one of those very same boats, the Irony still baffles me today. From time to time, I think about it. He told the story, and chilling events how they unfolded attempting to flee, in a narrow escape. His father and mother survived as they were attacked, the boat stay afloat but not all on board survived, were later rescued by U.Sl. Military, taken back to the United States for integration.

He fit into my Tuff as Sh………..family neatly. I was also raised a warrior to be tuff as Sh…….. since age of 6, Military methods of education attitude, order, disciplined. His Father Trained him as well, we talked many a night about Hill people, their education, ancestors, warfare tactics, strategies. I’m glad he survived to tell his story.

He was in my home for 2 years, he left his Pit Bull, she integrated into the family we thought it best she stay since he would be living in an apartment, she would be alone, with out a pack, confused, it didn’t set well with me, and (as a joke) I told him you may be leaving but the price for free rent and board for 2 years is “Hades” yes he named the Dog after a Greek God. Loved that dog till her end. Haven’t heard from him in a while, now that she’s gone I think he’s moved on, and thats my story. I wish him the best.

One of my favorite movies is Clint Eastwood production “Gran Torino” reminds me of him, and our relationship, took him in as my own.

kv

Edit: To the editors of the forum, if you choose to remove this post, I have it saved in an email to myself, as I have not told this story until now. Which I will later add to my Journal, and if Sh………. is how you’ll judge this post then so be it, I don’t care. I find it petty and cherry picking, because it fell from my keyboard and didn’t fit into your little world.

Edit: Edit: “Hmong” People for those who would like referencing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hmong_people

During the First and Second Indochina Wars, France and the United States intervened in the Laotian Civil War by recruiting thousands of Hmong people to fight against forces from North and South Vietnam which were stationed in Laos in accordance with their mission to support the communist Pathet Lao insurgents. The CIA operation is known as the Secret War.[9]

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
After seeing that, I knew there were no limits to evil and that 'ordinary' people could do extra-ordinary things to others in the worst possible ways.
Pretty much happened often before that and since, the Hutu and Tutsi genocide for a fairly recent other.
If you look back , it occurred almost in a continuum .

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I didn't know exactly where they were from but most on on their last legs and some were left behind to an unknown fate. I know for a fact on our ship Okinawa at least one at drift boat was inspected, determined to be seaworthy and left behind after we restocked it with food and fuel. The skipper said our military mission was a higher priority than a passenger rescue that would require extra time to transfer them to the UN camp in Thailand. We sent a radio notification of the location and description but to this day I've no idea what happened to those poor people. Others were left behind with horrible results you try not to think about.

A later case of what might have happened to our boat:
https://apnews.com/article/3f237384445ccad8fd5da3d045e637cc

U.S. Captain Convicted In Cannibalism Case, Given Reprimand
The defense argued that he was under pressure from his commanders to reach the Persian Gulf, where the Dubuque served as mother ship for U.S. minesweepers and provided a backup force of 400 Marines.
Balian testified he did not pick up the refugees because he did not realize how desperate their situation was.
He also said he believed the refugees’ vessel seaworthy based on reports from the ship’s executive officer, Lt. Cmdr. Stanley Halter.
After the sentence, Balian told reporters he accepted responsibility for his decision but called the Navy investigation unfair.
He said an initial probe had cleared him of wrongdoing but that the second investigation was conducted by an officer of whom he had been critical.
Balian also said at least four members of his crew should be court- martialed for their actions. He did not identify them.
″In hindsight, I should have done it different,″ Balian said. He said the refugee problem was ″politically messy for the Navy because no matter how you look at it, the Navy was embarrassed.″
The captain also said there had been insufficient emphasis ″on what really happened on that junk, why two young children were allowed to die and why three were murdered and all five eaten. Where is the accountability for that?″
My thought for the day is: Always do the right thing.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-02-14-mn-2172-story.html
In his opening argument Monday, the Navy prosecutor, Lt. Cmdr. Raymond H. Carlson, said: “The bottom line is that USS Dubuque and Capt. Balian on the ninth of June discovered these refugees in a life-threatening situation and left them in a life-threatening situation.”
Of the 110 refugees who left Ben Tre in southern Vietnam last May 22, only 52 survived.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
+1
It's one thing to read about it and totally another thing to be there when it happens.
I was very fortunate that when my 2yr mandatory call-up service occurred, there was a lull between conflicts. :cool:
( The only time I did face any was from the skies, i.e. the Luftwaffe and going to school carrying a gas mask) . o_O

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you believe in co-incidences?
The two Canadians accused by China of espionage, were released almost exactly the same time as Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou stepped onto an aircraft after her release by Canada.Held at the behest of the US covt.
China swore thier arrest had nothing to do with M. Wanzhou's detention!
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/09/24/world/meng-wanzhou-huawei-trial
Of course Ms. Wanzou 'roughed it' languishing in a BC mansion, allowed to go shopping and to concerts, the two Canadians 2years in a Chinese Jail! :confused:
What's wrong with this picture? :rolleyes:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In a similar vein, should those working in a foreign embassy get away with crimes?
I remember when I believe it was a Russian diplomat committed a serious crime and skipped back to Russia, US citizens were up in arms.
Recently in the UK, a wife of a US diplomat driving on the wrong side of the road whilst texting, killed a youth on his motor bike.
She skipped back to the US using diplomatic immunity,
She was hoping to get off scot free, but has been partly paid for her crime, but not enough IMO.
Just a cash settlement!!! :rolleyes:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Each nation has the choice to have an official embassy in their country with the diplomatic immunity rules. It's been abused (IMO this case is a good example) but in most cases it protects the countries citizens from political harassment.

It's really not much different than a normal SOFA most military are under when deployed in X country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_of_forces_agreement
1632688344901.png
A SOFA visa stamp..

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Do you believe in co-incidences?
The two Canadians accused by China of espionage, were released almost exactly the same time as Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou stepped onto an aircraft after her release by Canada.Held at the behest of the US covt.
China swore thier arrest had nothing to do with M. Wanzhou's detention!
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/09/24/world/meng-wanzhou-huawei-trial
Of course Ms. Wanzou 'roughed it' languishing in a BC mansion, allowed to go shopping and to concerts, the two Canadians 2years in a Chinese Jail! :confused:
What's wrong with this picture? :rolleyes:
Of course it was a co-incidence - just ask the Chinese.