Thermal flowmeter

aradhya.jain.430

Joined Dec 12, 2021
Hello,
I am making a thermal flowmeter by using two temperature sensors and a heater in order to make a non invasive method to determine the direction of fluid flow. What would be a suitable material to make the pipe out of? The material must be opaque to visible light...

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi 430,
If the project is just to measure flow direction and not actual temperatures, I would use plastic pipe, if the temperature is not above the pliable point of the pipe.
Otherwise, a copper pipe would be suitable.
E

aradhya.jain.430

Joined Dec 12, 2021
hi 430,
If the project is just to measure flow direction and not actual temperatures, I would use plastic pipe, if the temperature is not above the pliable point of the pipe.
E
I was having difficulty with a plastic pipe and a copper pipe would conduct heat too quickly for my purposes... Would you suggest anything else?

aradhya.jain.430

Joined Dec 12, 2021
hi 430,
E
I was having trouble with a plastic pipe and a copper pipe would conduct heat too quickly for my project... Would you suggest any
hi 430,
What sort of difficulties.?
E
The pipe was melting..

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
1) How is your heater applying heat to the fluid? Through the pipe wall?
2) Do you have some means of dissipating the heat from the heated fluid between the two measurement points? If not, the two temperatures measured will be the same.

aradhya.jain.430

Joined Dec 12, 2021
1) How is your heater applying heat to the fluid? Through the pipe wall?
2) Do you have some means of dissipating the heat from the heated fluid between the two measurement points? If not, the two temperatures measured will be the same.
1) Yes
2) The fluid is flowing inside the pipe and so it will dissipate the heat at different rates from both sensors... That is what I am using to find the direction of fluid flow..