Can a passive conical stator shroud provide sufficient

Thread Starter

pallaby

Joined Oct 6, 2026
4
I am conceptually designing an outer-rotor, gearless magnetic hub-drive wheel for a surface rover on Venus. To avoid the Curie temperature limitations of permanent magnets at 460°C (733 K), the system relies purely on an AC induction motor topology. The primary coils (stator) are locked to a stationary center axle, while the secondary loops drive the external wheel rim across a sealed air gap. Given that the Venusian atmosphere is highly dense (~ 67 kg/m³) and composed primarily of supercritical CO₂, managing internal I²R coil heat dissipation is a massive engineering barrier. To address this, my current 3D CAD iteration incorporates a specialized geometry

Cyan for bearings and structural support

Gold for electromagnetic induction or space for electromagnets

Blue for the heat management and prevention of dust

Redish pink for tire
 

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
33,236
So you joined an electronics forum to ask about thermal shielding of mechanical systems on Venus????

Is this some kind of school project?
 

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
6,459
Is this what modern 3D mechanical design tools look like these days?

It looks like a 3D version of MS Paint from the 1990s.

I'll stick with my 2001 version of Solid Works.


Selection_088.png
 

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
33,236
Given the "Go Premium" icon prominently displayed, my guess is that it's a free, possibly online, app. Plus, the "Join Content" makes me wonder if this isn't some kind of design competition such as NASA has done in the past.
 
What sort of question about thermal shielding?? Shielding must reflect the thermal radiation waavelengths. That is the most effective method. The alternative is to alter the wavelength and radiate the energy. I am not sure how to do that.
Really, this looks like a less expensive graphics program, or something emulating that sort of program.
If it is actually a real project with an actual request for engineering level assistance then the posting party needs to message more than one of us to verify that it is real.
That has been done previously so I know it is possible.
If the individual is a student then use the method that students can use to contact me.
If the individual is seeking engineering level expertise, understand that I am not a thermodynamics master.

One terribly unfortunate reality is that heat can only be conducted to a point of lower temperature by conduction. Radiation to a cooler location may be possible.
If the individual is totally serious my very best advice is to use materials for rolling bearings that will be sized to not bind from thermal expansion. THAT is the important starting point! That could include roller bearings with clearance adjustsd to be correct at the high temperature involved.
Depending on the required wear-life time, and the load, graphite bearings, or a graphite/teflon mix might work.
 
Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
33,236
It's completely unclear what they are trying to do. They say manage the internal I²R heat dissipation, which implies trying to carry that heat somewhere else. But where? The surrounding environment is at over 460°C, which is about 130°C higher than the melting point of lead.
 

Thread Starter

pallaby

Joined Oct 6, 2026
4
What sort of question about thermal shielding?? Shielding must reflect the thermal radiation waavelengths. That is the most effective method. The alternative is to alter the wavelength and radiate the energy. I am not sure how to do that.
Really, this looks like a less expensive graphics program, or something emulating that sort of program.
If it is actually a real project with an actual request for engineering level assistance then the posting party needs to message more than one of us to verify that it is real.
That has been done previously so I know it is possible.
If the individual is a student then use the method that students can use to contact me.
If the individual is seeking engineering level expertise, understand that I am not a thermodynamics master.

One terribly unfortunate reality is that heat can only be conducted to a point of lower temperature by conduction. Radiation to a cooler location may be possible.
If the individual is totally serious my very best advice is to use materials for rolling bearings that will be sized to not bind from thermal expansion. THAT is the important starting point! That could include roller bearings with clearance adjustsd to be correct at the high temperature involved.
Depending on the required wear-life time, and the load, graphite bearings, or a graphite/teflon mix might work.



Thank you for this reply. I am truly sorry for the misunderstanding from my heart. I am truly trying to design this into real life so that one day rovers can be launched in venus. IN this reply i want to say that I am really a student is am really new in this field and I am really looking for an engineering level help to get my project perfect. I AM TOTALY NEW IN THIS FEILD AND NEED HELP
 

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
28,371
OK, thatexplanation is reasonable. First, consider that heat transfer requires a difference in temperatures, and so what ever temperature is outside will be the temperature inside eventually.
Thereally GOOD NEWS is that high temperature bearings are already in use in some very hot applications!!!
Consider the rolling process in a steel mill, where a glowing-hot chunk of steel is rolled back and forth to squeeze it into sheet metal. (You can view videos of this process in-line)
THAT is much hotter than Venus and at a much greater load, and those bearings do not fail very often.
AND, I am aware of ceramic bearings available for high temperature applications in food processing ovens.
My point here is that high temperature bearings are already available, so that certainly will not be the big challenge
of exploring the hotter planets. The biggest issue that I see is the battery power part of the systems.
 

Thread Starter

pallaby

Joined Oct 6, 2026
4
OK, thatexplanation is reasonable. First, consider that heat transfer requires a difference in temperatures, and so what ever temperature is outside will be the temperature inside eventually.
Thereally GOOD NEWS is that high temperature bearings are already in use in some very hot applications!!!
Consider the rolling process in a steel mill, where a glowing-hot chunk of steel is rolled back and forth to squeeze it into sheet metal. (You can view videos of this process in-line)
THAT is much hotter than Venus and at a much greater load, and those bearings do not fail very often.
AND, I am aware of ceramic bearings available for high temperature applications in food processing ovens.
My point here is that high temperature bearings are already available, so that certainly will not be the big challenge
of exploring the hotter planets. The biggest issue that I see is the battery power part of the systems.


Thank you very much!! Sir! I would like to further do researchs on it and with your help, I would be very greatful to complete this project with you
 
Top