Thermal compound problem

barried

Joined Apr 20, 2013
I'm looking for some advice on thermal compounds. I have several different compounds in both tubes and syringes and every time I come to use them a substantial oily discharge comes out before I get the compound, which makes an awful mess everywhere. If it was in a pot I would try stirring it, but that's not possible with tubes and syringes.

Does anyone know of a compound for ICs which doesn't do this?

Thanks in advance

Barrie Davis

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I have a little plastic jar with the compound in it. I just stir it before use. You could transfer some compound from your syringe or tube to a pill bottle or something similar.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I have several different compounds in both tubes and syringes and every time I come to use them a substantial oily discharge comes out before I get the compound...
The contents separate as the tubes age. The manufacturer likely specifies a shelf-life -- beyond which consistency should not be expected.

If you don't mind re-mixing through whatever method -- do it. Otherwise, discard and buy more.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm looking for some advice on thermal compounds. I have several different compounds in both tubes and syringes and every time I come to use them a substantial oily discharge comes out before I get the compound, which makes an awful mess everywhere. If it was in a pot I would try stirring it, but that's not possible with tubes and syringes.

Does anyone know of a compound for ICs which doesn't do this?

Thanks in advance

Barrie Davis
http://www.computer-systems.gr/content/k5-pro

Can't remember where I got this, but its in a little tub with a spatula.