The Induction Coil of DC Voltage Booster.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Here is a Link of a DC Voltage Booster on YouTube

I Understand how it all woks but I wanted to Ask about the Induction Coil?

On the Left Side you See the Battery and if you go up you come to the Induction Coil.

To me this Looks like an Empty Spool of Thread with Wire now going around it.
But the Empty Spool of Thread would be Plastic I thought an Inductor Core is Iron.

What am I not Understanding?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
An inductor can have any core including air. The difference between the different core materials is the relative permeability.

Read this:
Permeability (electromagnetism) - Wikipedia

Pay particular attention to the table labeled " Magnetic susceptibility and permeability data for selected materials "
You will find both Air and Iron along with many other materials.

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Iron can be used as the core but fast signals like the ones made by the button see not only a magnetic path but also a partially shorted turn around the inductor, and that lowers efficiency.

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
In the Video I have above on the Left Hand Side is the Battery then Right above the Battery is an Empty Spool of Thread.

And I get this they are Wrapping the Wire around it go back and forth this is the Inductor.
Now when the Middle Switch is Closed all the Current just goes into the Inductor and back to the Battery.

This will go on and on until the Inductor is Charged.
But I Thought Inductors needed an AC Power Source to work?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It is true that in most DC circuits the di/dt = 0. For any circuit in which di/dt ≠ 0, and inductor will have an effect. This includes circuits with on/off mechanical switches or their electronic equivalents.