The impedance of speakers and impedance of receiver

WardL

Joined Jul 28, 2015
Anyone knows if this scheme (http://www.intelix.com/media/tech_notes/152_Athena_how_to_wire_stereo_to_mono.pdf) would when applied directly on speaker cables?
Because speakers itself have their impedance, and receiver expects a given impedance, so I assume I cannot just play around with some extra resistors?

Situation is as follows: I have a single speaker cable (that I cannot replace with a double speaker, unfortunately) running from my receiver to another room. I am wondering if I would be able to send sort of a 'stereo mix' of both L/R channels on that single speaker cable?
Any help appreciated.
Additional information: speakers have impedance of 4Ohm.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When listening to the mono speaker in the other room, are you also trying to preserve stereo in the first room? Or is it one-at-a time?

WardL

Joined Jul 28, 2015
Well, my receiver (Marantz SR7009) supports multiple zone's.
I want to use zone 1 for my living room (were I have stereo (an theoretically surround) speakers connected),
and zone 2 for the other room (were I can only connect one speaker).
So as I think the 2 zone's are actually 2 separate output channels in my receiver, I think you can consider it as 'one-at-a-time'.

WardL

Joined Jul 28, 2015
I guess I could, I suppose I can find them in an electronics shop nearby, or otherwise, there is always the internet ;-)
(to be clear you mean 2 resistors, with resistance between 2 and 4 ohm?)

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I guess I could, I suppose I can find them in an electronics shop nearby, or otherwise, there is always the internet ;-)
(to be clear you mean 2 resistors, with resistance between 2 and 4 ohm?)
Yes, but capable of dissipating >20W

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I looked at the receiver specs, and cannot tell how the speaker output terminals are driven inside the box. If the outputs are "bridged" (driven push-pull, like a car stereo), then my idea of bridging the two main channels will not work.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
It's probably easier to use a separate monophonic amplifier for the single speaker and sum the two channels on it's input from the line level source, not the speaker outputs of the receiver.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I looked at the receiver specs, and cannot tell how the speaker output terminals are driven inside the box. If the outputs are "bridged" (driven push-pull, like a car stereo), then my idea of bridging the two main channels will not work.
If the op checked between the two sets of outputs with an ohmmeter and found two with continuity, would that not indicate that the outputs are not bridged?