Testing Thunderbolt 3 port on windoze laptop

Joe Stavitsky

Joined Apr 5, 2020
I have a 2-3 year old Dell laptop with a Thunderbolt 3 port. Google says that it can supply up to 100W, but it depends on the manufacturer. I'd like to test max output. However, I have reason to... mistrust the design. I've had a number of prior issues with the system (bsod related to flash memory/usb ssd), and it looks like they're all related to power supply to various connectors. I've recovered from all of them quite gracefully but it would be nice to avoid having them as much as possible. So, given an Extech DMM and a cheap USB power sensor from Amazon, what's the safest way to find max output?

Thanks so much

Joe

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
You might be able to measure the power output with a DMM and USB sensor, but that does not mean the Dell laptop is designed to produce that power on a continuous basis. You may be able to draw lots of power, but a minute later something goes "poof" inside the laptop.
The only sure way to know for sure what that port can give reliably is to check the Dell laptop specifications for that port.

Joe Stavitsky

Joined Apr 5, 2020
The only sure way to know for sure what that port can give reliably is to check the Dell laptop specifications for that port.

If I could find them and I thought they were trustworthy :).