Tesla X Performance Electric Vehicle

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I have read all of your comments and agree with most of them . You have lots of reasons to be disenchanted with the auto industry in general.
As I grew up, I was never really impressed with the things about cars that my peers were, such as status symbols, high performance and hi-tech accessories. I have always regarded cars as vehicles to get me safely and fairly comfortably from one place to another. I have never understood really why the manufacturers refuse to build a basic serviceable car for a reasonable price.
I have no use for electric door locks that lock when you start the car and will keep you captive if you have an accident that disables the battery! Electric windows, locks, seats, remote keys, and mirrors are all very costly and just add to the number of components that can fail. They add very little to the experience of driving. Now cars are loaded with the latest and greatest of electronic gimmickry that really adds nothing to the efficiency or comfort of driving and will be obselete in a couple of years. I would never put my trust in a car the supposedly can drive and park its self and I would definitely not pay extra for high performance features that can never be used legally on the public highway.
I guess I am just an un-appreciative old fossil. I will just continue to drive my old car until it falls apart..

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Because they look like Jaguars.
But why Has every electric vehicle manufacturer except Tesla taken the opportunity to design something really ugly?
If you look at power consumption figures, you will see that it is directly proportional to height, and it seems only Tesla has managed to make a car under 1500mm tall.
But one thing I really don’t like: it looks like they forgot it needed a dashboard, and bodged an iPad in the centre console when they realised.
Hi,

Well i do think Musky has a decent level of intelligence and that goes a long way. Unfortunately he is also driven by profits. Will profits be the death of us all ... could be.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
The general problem with electric cars is, as things stands, while they don’t have a tailpipe to pollute with, they do a great of polluting on the front end due to manufacturing and in an ongoing way as the electricity they need it generated. Like all devices they are far from 100% efficient and so some percentage of the emissions is the result of losses, effectively increasing the emissions-cost by that much as well.

When electric vehicles are compared to ICE versions, the electrics fail to reduce net emissions over the lifetime of the two vehicles. So, the Tesla, for example is a short range, poorly supported (infrastructure), dangerous alternative to an ICE car that costs more and doesn’t reduce emissions.

But the news is not all bad. There is an existing alternative to both that is available now, for a reasonable cost and with some of the advantages of each: hybrids. A hybrid has reduced emissions, sufficient range, works with the current infrastructure, and has no unique dangers.

Eventual transition to pure electrics is probably inevitable but the current state of the technology involved, and the infrastructure needed, as well as the cost, favor hybrids until those things change.
Hello,

I agree with most of that but i dont know enough about the logic behind the emissions that well although i know they improved the tires.
I always wondered though, if they are powered by home chargers and charge stations that electrical energy has to come from somewhere If that somewhere is a waterfall it may not be too bad, but if it comes from burning coal then it could be very bad.
I'll have to read around a bit more to understand the total emissions issues.

When i referred to that though i was talking from the standpoint of the owner of the car. In this state his neighbors may have to go to inspection every 2 years while the owner of the car does not have to go ever. So the owner gets a break that way.

Regarding the infrastructure, i'd be afraid to buy one because there are too many issues with the charging stations and to charge at home takes several hours. If you get stuck on the road i think you have to have a flatbed tow truck come and two it to a charge station.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
At one time I had a Chrysler LHS. Man I loved that car. Independant suspension, 4 wheel disk brakes and ABS, limited slip front wheel drive, leather interior and a wonderful surround sound system. Strong V-6 engine and handled like a sports car. Unfortunately it sat for about a year after they took my cancerous kidney out, battery died, and it lost its engine control software. Due to its age, no one had the programming interface cable for it to download the software. Really pissed me off when I had to scrap the damn thing because no one could program it!

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
At one time I had a Chrysler LHS. Man I loved that car. Independant suspension, 4 wheel disk brakes and ABS, limited slip front wheel drive, leather interior and a wonderful surround sound system. Strong V-6 engine and handled like a sports car. Unfortunately it sat for about a year after they took my cancerous kidney out, battery died, and it lost its engine control software. Due to its age, no one had the programming interface cable for it to download the software. Really pissed me off when I had to scrap the damn thing because no one could program it!
Hi,

Oh sorry to hear that. I am having problems with my car too getting the OBDII monitors to go ready. I've a Volvo and apparently they are stubborn and this one is the most stubborn of all. Cant believe someone would design a car so bad.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
To bad you didn't ask about it here. There are many places that can and will reload an ECM. I think even one of our members can do it, bwilliams.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
My brother-in-law who is in the Birmingham Alabama area and a retired Chrysler mechanic couldn't find one. He had the software, but no cable. I was amazed that the dealerships didn't have one but the car was over 10 years old and in excellent condition other than a couple of tiny door dings. I did have the transmission replaced prior and that required reprogramming so they had one at the local dealership then but it disappeared when they moved to their new location. To reduce mass both front fenders were plastic and the hood was aluminum and from mid door down was also plastic. I always said LHS stood for Luxury High-performance Sedan as it did have some power and excellent handling with the all-wheel independent suspension.