Tesla Solar Roof

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I need a roof and looked into this. Some of the features are very compelling (super strong, lifetime warranty) but in the end I could not stomach the price. I have cheap electricity and would never get the return.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
It was very hot in the S.F. Bay Area from last Thursday until Sunday and there were radio announcements about the increased load on the power grid and warning people to cut back on air conditioning.

Ironically, the warnings never mentioned the elephant in the living room - all those EV charging stations that are powered off the same distribution/grid as the buildings and homes that are using too much air conditioning!!! o_O

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I guess you can pre-order and it will be difficult to get your return on your money. I'm still waiting for Battery technology to reach a point that will allow long term investment to get ROI and begin to make money. They're curbing how much you can net meter, soon they will not allow credit on your utility bill so the only way is off grid. If your battery doesn't last long enough to get a return why bother. I didn't go with it yesterday, even though they will pay for a new roof and re-wire my house. I won't risk selling the home to a buyer that may or may not want solar regardless of the advantage.

I either re-roof it myself or pass that to the new buyer and lower the price of my home, as far as my wiring is concerned I can pick up 40 amps moving to a gas range and another 30 amps going with a gas dryer. Problem solved with a 100 amp service.

kv