Tesla Induction Motor

Nathan Hale

Joined Oct 28, 2011
Hello Everyone. I was reading up on the new Tesla car and how it runs on an induction motor. I have a quick question. I have been learning about induction motors recently. If you see the loops and coils of wire in the picture below, are those loops and coils of wire bare copper? or are they "magnet wire" that has a copper colored enamel on them?
In other words, I want to know if these strands of wire are insulated or not; because if they are bare copper, i would think all hell would break loose when we connect them with power.
Thank you for your replies.
p.s. The motor in the picture is NOT from a tesla car. I put it there for my question.

Last edited:

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
They obviously have to be insulated, otherwise as you say "all hell will break loose". Looking at the way that winding is done I would not be very happy about the workmanship.
As far as the Tesla motors go, its hard to say, I would expect them to have some sort of VFD drive to control speed/torque.I dont think they use a gearbox. Cant recall offhand which type of motor is best suited to this application, although a brushed DC series wound motor is great for traction drives but there are modern substitutes.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
They obviously have to be insulated, otherwise as you say "all hell will break loose". Looking at the way that winding is done I would not be very happy about the workmanship.
As far as the Tesla motors go, its hard to say, I would expect them to have some sort of VFD drive to control speed/torque.I dont think they use a gearbox. Cant recall offhand which type of motor is best suited to this application, although a brushed DC series wound motor is great for traction drives but there are modern substitutes.
I am surprised to hear that they use induction motors. In my experience permanent magnet motors have more power density.

The brushed series wound motor has been a criwd pleaser for a long time in DIY EVs because they are pretty simple to employ and hard to destroy.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Thanks for the reference. I wasn't questioning the validity of your statements, just expressing my surprise in their choice.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello Everyone. I was reading up on the new Tesla car and how it runs on an induction motor. I have a quick question. I have been learning about induction motors recently. If you see the loops and coils of wire in the picture below, are those loops and coils of wire bare copper? or are they "magnet wire" that has a copper colored enamel on them?
In other words, I want to know if these strands of wire are insulated or not; because if they are bare copper, i would think all hell would break loose when we connect them with power.
Thank you for your replies.
p.s. The motor in the picture is NOT from a tesla car. I put it there for my question.
As others have said, they are insulated. But the coating is not "copper colored enamel", it is just a clear coating. It may be enamel or some other suitable insulating system.