Tesla Coil Project-problems of understading the circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidcoll

Joined Apr 30, 2018
Hi,
im a physics student, and i have a lab class that i need to choose a project, build it and explain it. so i desided to build a Slayer Circuit, resonant transformer.
i have few issues of understaning how the circuit works and some electricity questions. I attached the circuit that i found on youtube and online, design by PowerMax.
i understand that the 555 timer is generate a duty cycle sqaure wave that oscillate the power mosfests, and they ignite the two coils that amplify the output voltage.

Questions about the circuit
what is the role of C1, C3 and C4?
i dont understand the the wiring of the FET drive, the diode in the input and the npn transistor to Vss.
what is the role of D2 and D3 and R3?
L2 lower wire goes to FET drive input? why?

Question about physics\ electricity
what is role of the toroid on L2?
if the input voltage of L1 is a duty cycle square wave, what is the output voltage signal in L2? is it a integral of L1?
L2 outputs a high voltage, but has a large inner resistance and very small output current. so what is the profit in this devise?

https://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-SSTC-Slayer-Exciter-On-Steroids/

Thanks alot for helping my! and sorry for my english.
i hope i was clear.

Attachments

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
im a physics student, and i have a lab class that i need to choose a project, build it and explain it. so i desided to build a tesla coil, resonant transformer.
You don't say what year your in in physics, but even as a first year student, I'm sorry to say in my class you would get a failing grade. For calling this a Tesla coil, when a simple Google search would show it isn't even close to a Tesla coil. Not trying at all to be rude or disrespectful to you, but just stating facts. Even your Instructables video doesn't call it a Tesla, but by it's real name,"Slayer circuit".

davidcoll

Joined Apr 30, 2018
in the video its called Solid State Tesla Coil, because of that i thought its a tesla coil. im sorry, i will change it to "slayer circuit".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.