Tesla Coil-First project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FramedLink

Joined Dec 3, 2015
Hey guys. I'm looking to build a Tesla Coil as my first project in this field but not the cheap'o kind, but a good, well thought out, good looking, quality Coil that can sing and do stuff, and I need some guidance. Like should I go for the Spark Gap coil or Solid State, build the thing from scratch or buy a DIY kit? What circuit schematic should I use? Stuff like that.
About the DIY kit. There's a really good one called OneTeslaTS(http://onetesla.com/products/kits/oneteslats-all.html) that I like, and it has a beautiful toroid(Which I still don't know how to make a quality toroid) but it costs 450$ with shipping(WHICH IS ALLOT).
Spark Gap Coil seems to requires a neon sign transformer that costs about 150$(without shipping) which is also quite expensive but manageable.
The most affordable I think would be to build a Solid State one from scratch but again will I be able to get all the elements that make a quality Coil?
I like the one this guy made
http://www.electroboom.com/?p=575
But hopefully there is a way to control the length of the arks...
Thoughts?

BTW: I'm a student in Mechatronics and live in a apartments, and don't have a garage so yeah I like big arks but hate burned walls.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
You can use an old microwave oven transformer, and boost it up...zzzzZap!

you can click on home and there are several different circuits...

http://danyk.cz/mot_en.html

http://danyk.cz/tesla5_en.html
NO! STAY AWAY FROM MOTS IF YOU'RE JUST GETTING STARTED! THEY ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND WILL KILL YOU INSTANTLY IF YOU HAVE EVEN ONE LITTLE SLIP-UP!

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT recommend doing a Tesla coil as a first project, especially if you have little prior experience. Tesla coils are not simple devices. They are dangerous and require a LOT of math, science, physics, electronics knowledge, etc. I cannot stress enough that you should try a different project, perhaps a van de graaff generator. They are much safer, and can still get you pretty large sparks.

In order for a Tesla coil to sing you must be able to modulate it, which is not possible with the spark gap types. You would need to build a solid state type, which in many ways is even more dangerous. If you do some math incorrectly or hook something up wrong, parts WILL explode and cause serious damage and/or harm. They are absolutely not for beginners.

Just about everyone who has built Tesla coils starts off with a junky one. You need to build one out of junk in order to learn and understand how they work. Only then can you begin to work your way up to fancy polished ones.

If you have no experience with high voltage, high power, high frequency electronics, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BUILD A TESLA COIL! It took years of research before I was able to build my first, working Tesla coil safely. I suggest you start by researching how they work. Only when you can describe to me in detail how they operate will I consider helping you. If you do not do your research first, you are seriously endangering yourself and I refuse to have any part in that. Take some time, read some books, surf the web, find articles, and learn the theory of operation before even thinking about starting a build.

You should ALWAYS build a SGTC first (I know they can't play music, but that needs to come later after you have experience building simple SGTCs). NEVER start with a SSTC.

If you can't come back to this thread with an explanation, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, of how a Tesla coil works, I will request this thread be closed due to the dangerous nature of the project.

Regards,
Matt

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That one from electroboom look interesting and reasonably easy to build.
Why do want to control the length of the arcs? :confused:
Normally the longer the better.
But reducing Vsup will reduce the arc length.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
NO! STAY AWAY FROM MOTS IF YOU'RE JUST GETTING STARTED! THEY ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND WILL KILL YOU INSTANTLY IF YOU HAVE EVEN ONE LITTLE SLIP-UP!

I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT recommend doing a Tesla coil as a first project, especially if you have little prior experience. Tesla coils are not simple devices. They are dangerous and require a LOT of math, science, physics, electronics knowledge, etc. I cannot stress enough that you should try a different project, perhaps a van de graaff generator. They are much safer, and can still get you pretty large sparks.

In order for a Tesla coil to sing you must be able to modulate it, which is not possible with the spark gap types. You would need to build a solid state type, which in many ways is even more dangerous. If you do some math incorrectly or hook something up wrong, parts WILL explode and cause serious damage and/or harm. They are absolutely not for beginners.

Just about everyone who has built Tesla coils starts off with a junky one. You need to build one out of junk in order to learn and understand how they work. Only then can you begin to work your way up to fancy polished ones.

If you have no experience with high voltage, high power, high frequency electronics, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO BUILD A TESLA COIL! It took years of research before I was able to build my first, working Tesla coil safely. I suggest you start by researching how they work. Only when you can describe to me in detail how they operate will I consider helping you. If you do not do your research first, you are seriously endangering yourself and I refuse to have any part in that. Take some time, read some books, surf the web, find articles, and learn the theory of operation before even thinking about starting a build.

You should ALWAYS build a SGTC first (I know they can't play music, but that needs to come later after you have experience building simple SGTCs). NEVER start with a SSTC.

If you can't come back to this thread with an explanation, IN YOUR OWN WORDS, of how a Tesla coil works, I will request this thread be closed due to the dangerous nature of the project.

Regards,
Matt
So what are you saying? Should the OP build a Tesla coil as first project or not? Is it a safe project?

;)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
So what are you saying? Should the OP build a Tesla coil as first project or not? Is it a safe project?

;)
Simple answer: Do your research first.

It would be far better if the OP chose a different project for his "first project" but I know these types of people--they get it stuck in their head that they really want to do this project and won't take no for an answer, even if it is a stupid thing to do. Therefore I encourage them to do their research first, in the hopes they'll gain just enough knowledge not to kill themselves. For me it comes down to a judgement call--If I think they are capable of being smart and safe then I will offer guidance. If they strike me as having little to no experience whatsoever, like the OP, and just want to build something that looks cool without any idea of what it involves, I will not help until they prove to me they have a basic understanding of how Tesla Coils work and what is required.

FramedLink

Joined Dec 3, 2015
Simple answer: Do your research first.

It would be far better if the OP chose a different project for his "first project" but I know these types of people--they get it stuck in their head that they really want to do this project and won't take no for an answer, even if it is a stupid thing to do. Therefore I encourage them to do their research first, in the hopes they'll gain just enough knowledge not to kill themselves. For me it comes down to a judgement call--If I think they are capable of being smart and safe then I will offer guidance. If they strike me as having little to no experience whatsoever, like the OP, and just want to build something that looks cool without any idea of what it involves, I will not help until they prove to me they have a basic understanding of how Tesla Coils work and what is required.
Dude chill.
First that's dumb. What will closing this this thread achieve? And how can I build something and not know what it is? I'm not asking for people to build it for me, I'm asking for direction so that I know what exactly I'm building and what parts I need to build it, that's why I'm here. And whats wrong with building stuff just cose it looks cool? I can buy the lame useful stuff in the store, it's the useless cool stuff that's not there, like the lightning maker. Oh and "these types of people" I guess you got me. But seriously, i apriciate what you are saying but if I was one of "those types of people" with a curiosity and want to build something cool is it really a good idea to act all snobish and judgemental, and trying to pursvade them to build a knitting machine?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Dude chill.
First that's dumb. What will closing this this thread achieve? And how can I build something and not know what it is? I'm not asking for people to build it for me, I'm asking for direction so that I know what exactly I'm building and what parts I need to build it, that's why I'm here. And whats wrong with building stuff just cose it looks cool? I can buy the lame useful stuff in the store, it's the useless cool stuff that's not there, like the lightning maker. Oh and "these types of people" I guess you got me. But seriously, i apriciate what you are saying but if I was one of "those types of people" with a curiosity and want to build something cool is it really a good idea to act all snobish and judgemental, and trying to pursvade them to build a knitting machine?
Dude chill. What derstrom8 is trying to do is keep you from killing yourself. High voltage systems like this are extremely dangerous . You need to know exactly what you are doing before you build the project. Capice?

Go ahead and join the Darwin Award society if you want.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Dude chill.
Ok, first of all, don't call me "dude".

Wanting to build something because it looks cool is fine, but rushing into it without any prior experience or research is what leads to property damage, personal injury, and death. And asking for guidance is fine, but you need to show some initial research and understanding, especially before pursuing such a dangerous project. You clearly don't know what is involved and you strike me as having little to no electronics experience, so a Tesla coil is definitely not a good project to start with.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Welcome to AAC.

The first you should be polite and thanks to the member who given you the advice, it may save your life, for a high voltage is quite dangerous, specially the tesla coil is needs most high tech knowledge and experience.

Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered "off-topic" at all times and will result in Your thread being closed without question:
  • Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
If You come across a thread or post discussing any of the above topics please report the thread so We can close, and if necessary remove, the offending thread/posts.

User-Agreement.

For a newbie or not enough experience for the high voltage is not safe to play with the tesla coil, so this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.