Technical Support NEEDED!

rider15x

Joined May 30, 2017
Can anyone tell me what components I would to buy to make a 700mA driver like this one? (I know the picture says 1000mA) I want to build my own circuit board with a 700mA driver on the board. I just don't know what parts to buy to make the driver :(

DRIVER SPECS
DC IN (V-DC): MIN 10 MAX 32
OUTPUT: CURRENT 700mA V in - 2.5V

rider15x

Joined May 30, 2017
To be more specific I would like to make something like this the driver is build on the board with the led emitterIMG_3347.JPG

rider15x

Joined May 30, 2017
In away it is like a flash light i plan on making a half moon circuit board on a PCB I got a quote for someone to make it for me but it was about $1200.00 I know the components couldn't cost me more than $50.00

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
$1200.00 is not a bad price for "one" of something. How much cheaper do you think you can do it assuming your time is worth nothing ($0.00) to you?

rider15x

Joined May 30, 2017
I'm not entirely sure how much I could do it for because i don't know what components to buy. like resistors voltage regulators ext. the board it self would be fairly cheap to make with a copper sheets and a laser printer. The cree leds are around 0.50 a peice. so I would imagine I could build it with just the parts for around 100-150 dollars. I have already made a prototype with puck drivers and cree led star boards for less than 70.00 dollars. I just need to know what components i need to buy to put on a PCB.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Well I think you need a buck converter chip, some low ESR capacitors, a Schottky diode, an inductor that won't saturate at twice the output current, and a well laid out PCB with low impedance current paths. A degree in Electrical Engineering wouldn't hurt, but you'll get there eventually with trial and error.

Besides PCB layout, board fabrication, component acquisition, board assembly, and testing there are countless other things you need to do for a successful design.

PS: the LM3404 datasheet that @bertus looks pretty complete including part numbers for typical inductors.

Good Luck.

Last edited: