TDR (Time Delay Relay)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I doubt that there is a time domain reflectometer in your washing machine. Don't always take Google's answer as fact.
More likely your TDR is a thermistor.

Why do you want to bypass the TDR?

Wetp8nt

Joined Feb 3, 2017
I am the original Troll, yes. The board is TDR1. It shorted out because the numb nuts I was fixing the washer for, couldn't resist the urge to show his girlfriend he's a smart one. While I was away, he put the board back in and drove a screw into the hole made for the plastic hardware. The board is for a front loader, Kenmore and fridgedaire use same board

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Please post a clear well focused photo of the whole board as well as the component in question.

The component shown in the poorly focused photo still looks like a thermistor to me, or a TDR = temperature dependent resistor.

Wetp8nt

Joined Feb 3, 2017
Here is a picture of the board. It could very well be a time delay relay, or a temperature dependant resistor.I got my definition of tdr from papa troll. I'm an electrician, not an "electronician",so I haven't a clue what the TDR stands for. There is actually a 1 next to that spot suggesting there is another, but I couldn't see it. What is the worst that would happen if I just by passed it. The machine would come on engage the water solenoid, and pump, but when it came time for motor to engage, I get no response. So this component is strictly motor dedicated. Any suggestions would be great.just tried to attach pics, don't know why it failed. I have some on Drive. I can share. My email is <SNIP>. in the meantime I'll try again to post here.

Moderators note: removed email to avoid spammers

Last edited by a moderator:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The pic shows (through the fog :) ) what looks like a Temperature Dependent Resistor (as MrChips observed). If it's associated with a motor it's most likely one with a negative temperature coefficient, used as an inrush current limiter. Bypassing it could result in circuit damage.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
It is a temperature dependent resistor, or thermistor, or MOV, or PTC (positive temperature coefficient), or NTC. Could be there to limit inrush current when the motor starts, or transient suppression to protect the electronics from static and inductive charges. No part number, no data.

ak

Wetp8nt

Joined Feb 3, 2017
Okay, moderator removed my email to avoid spammers, NICE. I wasn't even thinking about that, Anyway, I do have a part number Fridgedaire pn221870021. So, are you saying I can damage th circuit further, but what about motor. If it is what you've suggested, is there ant chance at all I can damage the motor? That is my main concern.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Still... you failed to provide good pictures.
DON'T BE RUDE to members

POST A CLEAR PICTURE OF THE COMPONENT IF YOU WANT HELP.
ATLEAST GOOD CLOSE UP PICTURES OF THE COMPONENT AREA (BOTH SIDES OF PCB).

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Edit: This brilliant response makes more sense if you know that the moderators removed a TS post with sophomoric name-calling.

1. No, he doesn't.
2. I did.
3. Yes.
4. You've been on this forum a whopping 3 days with a total of 6 messages, all of them about you and your problem. No likes, no help to anyone else about anything. You had to know that your first pix was almost worthless before you posted it, and you had the ability to post something much more clear and useful yet you took the lazy route. Plus, 10 seconds on google would have shown you that a time domain reflectometer is not a component in a washing machine, meaning you don't mind wasting the time of helpful strangers.

And yet you think you're qualified to characterize someone else's responses? You're not.

ak

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We already told you what the component appears to be judging from a poorly focused photo.
We already asked you why do you want to bypass the TDR? We received no response.

Hence the follow up response is: Bypass the TDR at your own peril.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Is it my imagination or does the big capacitor in the centre of the board have a bulging top? If it does, the cap was probably the cause of the failure and should be replaced.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Okay, moderator removed my email to avoid spammers, NICE. I wasn't even thinking about that, Anyway, I do have a part number Fridgedaire pn221870021. So, are you saying I can damage th circuit further, but what about motor. If it is what you've suggested, is there ant chance at all I can damage the motor? That is my main concern.
I can say categorically that yes, you will damage the motor if you bypass the TDR (time delay relay). I don't know your specific reefer but it is highly unlikely that any manufacturer would increase the cost of their product design, production, documentation, warranty exposure et. al. unless it were absolutely necessary. If you are not up to component level repairs on the board, this kind of part is readily available at appliance parts outfits. Search on Appliance Parts. Sears Service stores also have stuff like this.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Fyi this board is not going back in the machine. My sole purpose for this thread was to learn
Then stop picking fights. You will find all the help you need here if you participate in a civil manner. Let the mods handle the other stuff. You may note that some inappropriate comments directed at you have been deleted along with some of yours. If you feel you have been mistreated, the proper channel is to use the REPORT button and alert the staff, not duke it out on the boards.

Last edited: