Target Device ID (0x3FFF) Is an invalid device ID. Program not uploading to pic

z_iron

Joined May 24, 2020
Hi, using a pic16f18446 on a curiousity development board that has an onboard pickit (Pkob4). The board and chip is fine as my desktop pc uploads to it normally. Switched to a laptop running mplab v5.40 and i get this error when uploading
Capture.PNG

After pressing ok, im greeted with this error:

Calculating memory ranges for operation...

Erasing...

The following memory area(s) will be programmed:
program memory: start address = 0x0, end address = 0x1f
program memory: start address = 0x660, end address = 0x7ff
configuration memory

Verify failed. [ Pgm ] at 0x0, expected 0x00003180, got 0x0000ffff
Programming did not complete.

How do i solve this issue?

p.s Low voltage programming is enabled and MCLRE is set.

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
Seems like the PIC can't have enough power or something interferes with communication lines. Maybe the current USB port can not deliver enough power to board, not all USB ports are'nt same power capability.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
I'll agree with trebla. I had a similar issue once, just the other way around. The laptop could do what the PC couldn't. It still won't work right with some older varieties, but the newer chips all work. I've measured the voltage of the USB ports that aren't right and they can drop as low as 4.5V at times for whatever reason.

z_iron

Joined May 24, 2020
I'll agree with trebla. I had a similar issue once, just the other way around. The laptop could do what the PC couldn't. It still won't work right with some older varieties, but the newer chips all work. I've measured the voltage of the USB ports that aren't right and they can drop as low as 4.5V at times for whatever reason.

So what could I do then? Shall i power the board/chip with external power while uploading the programs?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
So what could I do then? Shall i power the board/chip with external power while uploading the programs?
Or use another computer (laptop or PC) to upload. There are multiple versions of USB ports and the one on your laptop may not be able to supply enough current.

Your laptop may require that your MCU negotiate for the current required. Does your MCU and/or YSB cable support this?

It also depends on what your MCU does with multiple power supplies. The MCU ground must connect to the uploading computer ground.

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
A powered USB hub may help.

Do you have anything connected to the board at the moment also? If you are only powering the board itself at the moment it shouldn't be a matter of if the port can deliver enough current. A pair of PICs shouldn't overload even the cheapest USB port by themselves. Since you are using low voltage programming everything should work down to a bit under 3 volts in all reality. Even if you used high voltage programming it should work provided the programmer can boost the voltage for the Vpp / MCLR pin to the right level..

Are you using the same version of MPLab on both computers? I saw a similar thought mentioning it may be a bug with the newest version that hasn't been sorted out yet.

Best advice I have... get a regular programmer (PicKit, etc...), a piece of breadboard, and a hand ful of PICs to experiment with. It's a lot easier to plug in a different chip and see what happens then to guess and