PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit 3.

Bob807

Joined Aug 31, 2014
So, first off, I'm very new to PIC Programming, and PICs in general. Anyhow, when I use my PICkit 3 programmer to connect to a PIC18F87J60, I get the following message:

PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.26.33
Firmware type......................PIC18F
Downloading AP...
AP download complete
Running self test...
Self test completed
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.26.33
Firmware type......................PIC18FJ
PICkit 3 Connected.
PK3Err0045: You must connect to a target device to use PICkit

I have power going to the circuit, with the example of how I hooked it up included. Thanks, like I said, I'm new to this, so I'm sure it's something really dumb that I've forgotten. Thanks!

Matt
I'm having connection difficulties also and was wondering if you resolved your problem? I get the response: "
3." when using the MPLab X program to send the program to the PICKit 3. If I use "Flowcode" I get a response: No USB connected. Although the program that was origionally installe in the demo board with the PIC18F45K20 chip installed is running all the time from the power from the usb port through the PICKit 3

bob

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I'm having connection difficulties also and was wondering if you resolved your problem? I get the response: "
3." when using the MPLab X program to send the program to the PICKit 3. If I use "Flowcode" I get a response: No USB connected. Although the program that was origionally installe in the demo board with the PIC18F45K20 chip installed is running all the time from the power from the usb port through the PICKit 3

bob
Are you sure the PK3 has been properly configured? Be sure the proper PIC device is selected. Then go to the tabs/menus: Programmer >Settings...>Power

Be sure that you check power target (if you are powering your device by the PK3) and set the voltage.

BTW, this is a very old thread. You might get better advice by starting a new thread.

John

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I'm having connection difficulties also and was wondering if you resolved your problem? ...
OK, same question: post YOUR schematic.

Please do so in a new thread, it's gets confusing not seeing "thread starter" as the person needing help.