Switching power supply with multiple devices, amp question.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
Will my 20amp 24v 500w switching power supply be able to supply multiple devices (it has 6 terminals, so up to 3 devices) so can I have 3 devices running at 20 amps, or does each device max out at 6.6 or so amps if all 3 devices are used simultaneously?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
You can run as many devices as you like as long as the total current is less that the power supply maximum.
But, if your running currents do actually add up to 20A, and the supply is rated for 20A max, it may be a good idea to upgrade the supply to a 30A one. Running constantly as maximum power may well reduce the power supply life.

Cyrus Mingley

Joined Apr 18, 2020
You can run as many devices as you like as long as the total current is less that the power supply maximum.
But, if your running currents do actually add up to 20A, and the supply is rated for 20A max, it may be a good idea to upgrade the supply to a 30A one. Running constantly as maximum power may well reduce the power supply life.
Yeah, my original use was 16 amps that’s why I got a 20 amp one, but yeah thanks for the info I forgot about that.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Running constantly as maximum power may well reduce the power supply life.
That's likely true for Chinese power supplies made by unknown companies ( I probably won't run them much over 1/2 their rating continuously), but good commercial supplies made by reputable companies should work up to their rated value with no problem.