Switching method for Solenoid - PIR Trigger

DSJ

Joined Jun 6, 2016
Hi All,

I have a fairly simple problem that I would like some advice on.

I am using a PIR sensor (Keyes 0054) to detect motion, I would then like to use this trigger to turn on a 12v, 1amp solenoid valve.

PIR outputs 2v when triggered.

The question I have is what is the simplest way to power the solenoid?

Should I be looking at a relay? Mosfet? Transistor?

Thanks

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
I would use a SSR such as the CPC1906. Typically requires 3 ma to operate loads up to 1 amp assuming the PIR can deliver the 3ma
Steve G

DSJ

Joined Jun 6, 2016
I would use a SSR such as the CPC1906. Typically requires 3 ma to operate loads up to 1 amp assuming the PIR can deliver the 3ma
Hi Steve G, thanks for the feedback, I have had a look and this seems like it would work.... However I am having difficulty finding it from a supplier where I stay.

I did find the one below which is similar but seems is designed for AC loads. Would this work? CPC 1966Y

DSJ

Joined Jun 6, 2016
So I have gone back and measured. The PIR outputs 0.5mA at 2.5V. Which means neither of the above would work I guess. I'm looking to see what other SSR's might work. Any suggestions?

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
The PIR outputs 0.5mA at 2.5V. Which means neither of the above would work I guess.
You can easily amp this up with a transistor that's not a problem. The CPC 1966Y is designed for AC loads with a minimum voltage of 20vac so no go with that one.
This one from that website should work. Recommended current to operate is 5 to 10 ma which is feasible by adding the transistor.
https://za.rs-online.com/web/p/solid-state-relays/6996534/EEE SSR PIR controlled.png

Last edited: