Switching 7805, 7812 Regulators List

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Here is a link to a short list of regulators that emulate the 78xx series regulators with an actual switching regulator so it's not linear so it is much more efficient in many applications.

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-...MIy4H87N_d2wIVSMnjBx3rqQADEAEYASAAEgJL3PD_BwE

Note these are SWITCHING regulators not the usual 78xx linear type but can be used in place of a linear one for better operation in many cases.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hi,

Here is a link to a short list of regulators that emulate the 78xx series regulators with an actual switching regulator so it's not linear so it is much more efficient in many applications.

https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/c/cui/dc-switching-regulators?&utm_adgroup=All CUI Pages&slid=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy4H87N_d2wIVSMnjBx3rqQADEAEYASAAEgJL3PD_BwE

Note these are SWITCHING regulators not the usual 78xx linear type but can be used in place of a linear one for better operation in many cases.
Cool! Are those new? I haven't seen them before. Maybe this will finally end the ubiquity of the analog parts.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Cool! Are those new? I haven't seen them before. Maybe this will finally end the ubiquity of the analog parts.
Hi,

I have heard of these before but this set looks smaller so i dont know how long they have been around.

As you can also see from the other reply here, the cost is not cheap. I am seeing 5 dollars to 10 dollars (USD) depending on current rating i think. But if you really need a switcher for the efficiency, that's the best bet i think because you dont have to do any work, just pop one in.

ebp

Joined Feb 8, 2018
There have been 3-terminal switchers to replace the 7800 series on the market for probably 20 years, at least.

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
8~36V 5V@1A for $3.3 That is double what I pay for the 5 pin ( that also doesn't need a heat sink )... But these prices are for 1 off's maybe it'll be cheaper for 25!!

Good spot though! Cheers for that MrAl!

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
I have been using them for years now. In fact, there is only a couple of products I have that uses a linear reg.
The first was a Power Trends 78HT205HC that was about an inch square. And in 1994 they were a lot of money. But the savings in power supply size and heat is really worth it. Now I use Recom and Tracpower parts. These are a lot smaller than the original one used.
If you have not tried them, have a look. It is well worth while ,even if you follow with an LDO linear reg.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
8~36V 5V@1A for $3.3 That is double what I pay for the 5 pin ( that also doesn't need a heat sink )... But these prices are for 1 off's maybe it'll be cheaper for 25!!

Good spot though! Cheers for that MrAl!
Hi there Ian,

Yeah a little pricey there, but i guess if you really need a switcher it is easier and cheaper than designing one with a chip and inductor and diode and two caps, etc. The higher current models are more expensive too.

I think i got the notification in the email about these parts. Once in a while i get some good ideas that way. "They" know i look for parts online :)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Thanks for sharing that MrAl. Pretty neat little regulators.

Ron
Hi there Ron,

You're welcome, and i hope they can help you in some project.
I like the size too, a complete switcher in a package size we usually only see linear regulators in.