Suggestions needed for a five wire circuit that pulls 33 A

Boatmandude

Joined Feb 23, 2020
I have a piece of industrial kitchen equipment that has a five wire 208 circuit and has an FLA of 33 AMPs,so my question is what size wire?what size breaker? and what plug is required?

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
He is talking about 3 phases neutral and ground use 3 - 8 awg RED BLACK BLUE for phases A WHITE for neutral 8 awg and green 10 for your ground and you be good to go you'll have to use a 40 amp breaker 3 pole breaker

1582488041120.jpeg
Or one of these

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is what I suggested based on his requirements, but what is the nature of the supply, Apparently 3ph but does he have a earth or grounded neutral supplied?
IOW, is the star point at ground?
If this is a transformer secondary, then the Star connection should be set up as a Earthed neutral.
We don't know his jurisdiction.
Max.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Some gunk uses the neutral all need the ground
I install some controllers that use only the 3 phase
And the ground but lately there some stuff that needed all 5 wires the used one leg to the neutral to get 120 for power supply

The better stuff uses a 3 phase transformer and steps that down for control voltage and the 3 phase for motor and the ground

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I suspect the 3ph is for element/heating devices, the 120v for control.
As long as it is realized that the star neutral should be grounded, that is if in N.A. in particular.
Max.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
He is talking about 3 phases neutral and ground use 3 - 8 awg RED BLACK BLUE for phases A WHITE for neutral 8 awg and green 10 for your ground and you be good to go you'll have to use a 40 amp breaker 3 pole breaker

View attachment 199812
Or one of these
You are making a GUESS that he is talking about that.It is a reasonable guess but only a guess. IT is quite OK to offer a number of questions to be sure, and then the advice will be good.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
How many Industrial kitchen equipment have you hooked up MisterBill2
I did not say anybody was wrong on any points. But the TS left a whole lot out and so all of it is presumptions and guesses, even if they are quite correct. My guess is the same, but I would qualify it as a guess. I have seen some strange things over the years, OK?

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
It depends on what your hooking up
Like even you have most that only use L1 L2 L3 and ground with a four prong plug .
Then you have some that have to be hard wired
Really need tell what your hooking up
Post a picture of the wiring Diagram

Boatmandude

Joined Feb 23, 2020
It is a commercial air fryer. 50% of our customers are fine with hard wire. Some of them require a plug so we could move the unit for cleaning.

Boatmandude

Joined Feb 23, 2020
It depends on what your hooking up
Like even you have most that only use L1 L2 L3 and ground with a four prong plug .
Then you have some that have to be hard wired
Really need tell what your hooking up
Post a picture of the wiring Diagram
I will get some attachments of the electrical drawing shortly