Project feasibility - Police Speed Gun

IloveGraceKelly

Joined Jun 2, 2023
Hi everyone,

I am currently a rising senior majoring in computer engineering. I wasn't able to secure an internship this summer so I wanted to come up with ideas for projects.

One of my project ideas is creating a police speed gun that uses LIDAR to measure the speed at which a vehicle is moving. I was thinking of buying a LIDAR sensor to measure the vehicles speed and using a microcontroller to perform the logic of calculating the speed and displaying it onto an LCD screen. I know I could also use a doppler radar sensor to also to measure speed, but I want to know if this is possible with LIDAR sensors.

These are some of the LIDAR sensors I was thinking of using:

TF03 Long-Distance LiDAR Module (100m)

LIDAR-Lite v3HP

LIDAR-Lite v3

I know the range and accuracy of the gun is going to be significantly worse than an actual police speed gun due to the LIDAR sensor. Despite this, would this project be possible to implement with the given sensors to some degree? I appreciate all the responses.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

Your thread has been moved to the Homework Help forum. Because AAC rules limit the sort of assistance members can provide with coursework to guidance on moving forward with a student’s own ideas. Because of this, all such posts must be made to the Homework Help forum.

It’s good to have you with us, and I am sure you will find people interested in helping with your project.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
So, what do you have in mind as a way to use the LIDAR for speed measurement?

Have you researched methodologies used by existing LIDAR speed guns?

This document might have some useful information.