Suggestions for a 24 hr. motion sensor to activate a siren alarm

Chitreano

Joined Aug 27, 2020
This is what I need:
  1. Suggestions for the purchase of a motion sensor.
  2. 110 volt motion sensor with 24 hour detection that will activate an external siren upon detection of motion in the room
  3. It will be mounted inside a 40 x 60 workshop
  4. I would like to wire it through a light switch for deactivation when I am entering the building & then switch it on to activate upon leaving.
  5. I have one currently installed but it has an 80 second test/activation mode which sets off the siren for 80 seconds upon switching it on. When I leave and switch the detector on I don't want to listen to 80 seconds of a loud siren before it self silences and resets to detection mode.
  6. I need a simple day and night motion sensor that will activate a siren when powered up & detecting motion.
  7. Thank you for your suggestions.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

I think it would be easier to use two sensors. One for the alarm and one for the light.

They sell light switches with motion detectors; though they're not infallible. You can wire any standalone IR sensor to trigger an alarm.

Chitreano

Joined Aug 27, 2020
To clarify, The switch I am referring to is hidden and will only serve to power up the motion sensor when I am not in the shop. Upon entering I can turn the sensor off and upon leaving I can turn it on via the hidden switch. My lighting system in on a totally different circuit.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Home Depot floodlight sensor with power switched by a regular household switch. The sensor module can be removed from the light sockets and mounted wherever you want. Plus, you get a free added feature. A panic alarm. Double flipping the switch turns on the power to the siren.

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Home Depot floodlight sensor with power switched by a regular household switch. The sensor module can be removed from the light sockets and mounted wherever you want. Plus, you get a free added feature. A panic alarm. Double flipping the switch turns on the power to the siren.
The only catch here is some of them turn the lights on for several (30-60?) seconds when you first turn them on. Maybe a secondary component, a time delay relay for the siren?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
In the 1970's I installed some ultrasonic motion detectors in some burglar alarm systems. Did not have many nuisance trips -just be careful to not have things like pets and curtains that can be blown by the wind/heater/airconditioner within the detector's field of view. That was just at the time pyroelectric sensors were coming into use.

Pyroelectric sensors can be useful but they don't detect motion.