Stepper Motor Rotor Diameter

Rep6400

Joined Nov 23, 2022
Hello!
Are there any blueprints available? Looking for a stepper motor with about 10mm rotor diameter.
Thank you.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Sort of hard to answer. Small stepper motors have small shaft diameters and larger motors larger shaft diameters. I assume you are looking at shaft diameter? High torque? Low2 torque? Frame size? Shaft dual or single? Holding torque? All of this can contribute to frame size. All quality stepper motors include a blueprint. Since you mention 10mm I'll assume you want metric. That is about 0.3937 inch shaft diameter or about 25/64 inch. Keep in mind they also make couplings to get from one shaft size to another. Once you know exactly what you want including frame size I would look for manufacturers and products available in your area. I happen to be in the US and have used stepper motors in industrial applications from Anaheim Automation. All of their motors include full blue prints and data sheets. The link is merely an example.

Ron

Rep6400

Joined Nov 23, 2022
Hi Ron,
Actually I am looking for the rotor diameter, not shaft. I would like to use stepper motor electromagnets for my project - magnetic beads separation. I have to put a 10mm diameter test tube inside the motor replacing the rotor.
Thank you

Ilya

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hi Ron,
Actually I am looking for the rotor diameter, not shaft. I would like to use stepper motor electromagnets for my project - magnetic beads separation. I have to put a 10mm diameter test tube inside the motor replacing the rotor.
Thank you

Ilya
Wow and OK. Here I thought even though you were saying rotor and meant shaft. With rotor diameter in mind I don't know of any data sheets which call that out. My best suggestion would be try and call a few manufacturers and ask for an applications engineer. They would have access to those drawings hopefully.

Ron

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have seen and used the provided drawings of the external portions of a stepper motor, but never any of the internal part. I am wondering as to how the coil section of a stepper motor could work in separating beads of magnetic material.
Please explain how the magnetics of a stepper motor can make that work, that sounds quite interesting.

Jerry-Hat-Trick

Joined Aug 31, 2022
I wonder if you would be happy to sketch and perhaps explain in more detail what you are trying to do? For example, will you be making the test tube rotate? It's quite possible to build a basic stepper motor oneself - what step angle are you looking for?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am still trying to figure out how the center of a stepper motor would be useful. I can imagine a 10mm test tube inside but it seems to me that a universal motor with the magnetic field across the gap between poles would be more effective. And probably cost less as well. Could we get an explanation as to how it is intended to function? This is a very unusual concept.