Stepper motor control wiring

curpa

Joined Feb 6, 2019
Hey all,

I'm a electronics student and I got a project I need to make happen.
Initially I would have used a simple stepper motor driver/control board which I would hook up to my raspberry pie to control the stepper motor.
However I had no other option than to purchase a https://charter-controls.com/products/stepper-motor-controllers/g250x/. Now im struggling to find the right way to connect the wires from the g250x to the raspberry pi 3. I have already connected the stepper motor to the control board but I am uncertain about which pins goes from the g250x to the raspberry pi.

I have linked the datasheet for the g250x and pin layout for the pi.
Also what I have made till now.

Best regards, Reuben

Attachments

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
If you are using someone's program to run the motor, they should tell you which pins to use. If you are writing the program, choose any 2 easy to use GPIO pins for direction and step pulses. You also need a common ground connection and their current resistor on their board.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That is a N.A. Gecko drive, they have a prominent web site with app notes etc on stepper control.
They also have a presence in the CNCzone forums.
Max.

curpa

Joined Feb 6, 2019
If you are using someone's program to run the motor, they should tell you which pins to use. If you are writing the program, choose any 2 easy to use GPIO pins for direction and step pulses. You also need a common ground connection and their current resistor on their board.
Thanks for the reply :)

So I should connect the direction and step to a gpio pin and not to the 3,3 v power pin (since the data sheet says it needs a 3,3v or 5v logic control)?

Best regards Reuben

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
If it only goes in one direction, you can connect "direction" permanently to a fixed voltage level. If it reverses direction, then to an i/o pin is the only choice.
Step obviously needs to go to an i/o pin. The program will control the pin, so use whatever the program requires.