Stepper motor braking - need to understand!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I would say you need about 25 discrete velocities that you can use to accelerate, run and decelerate.
Since this is for a CNC machine all of the speeds will be controled by the Gcode from the CNC software.

timer based state machine, each time the timer expired,
Isn't that the defination of a pulse train? Not trying to argue but to understand, with a stepper driver the pulses come from a 555 timer type circuit, usually unless it for a CNC.

YorkshireDave

Joined Jun 12, 2016
I assume the mention of the Arduino was just an aside?
What CNC software does he intend using? Mach3?
Not sure if there is a Mac version for Macbook however.
As I mentioned, there are many hundreds (thousands?) that have gone through this in the Zone forum.
Max.
TBH the arduino wasn't meant to be an aside. We were kinda hoping it might be used as a dedicated platform to control the table!

Given this is all new & money is very short due to this virus, what is the most effective way forward?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Since this is for a CNC machine all of the speeds will be controled by the Gcode from the CNC software.

Isn't that the defination of a pulse train? Not trying to argue but to understand, with a stepper driver the pulses come from a 555 timer type circuit, usually unless it for a CNC.
I think it is a small point, but there was no 555. I was using a Z-80 processor and a timer chip. The time between the state changes to the drive transistors came from the processor. The processor was looking at periodic interrupts from the timer chip and making decisions for multiple axes on that basis. Don't know how you would synchronize 2 axes with 555's with any particular degree of precision.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Then I would suggest two suitable stepper drives, Gecko etc, DC power supply and PC based S/W such as Mach3 etc,
If you want to control the spindle then you need an interface if using router or VFD controlled spindle motor.
Max.